Re-pointing tables and indexes

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Bob_(Guest)

Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by Bob_(Guest) » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:06 pm

We built 25 reports under one company. We now want to copy these reports over to the remaining 26 companies. That_s right, 650 reports to copy over. In most cases the tables and indexes are in the same directory. There are a few instances where the master table is in a different directory than the related tables. ____Is there any way to easily change the master table and index and related tables and indexes for each company without having to go in and point each one?____Thanks,__Bob__

kfleming

=> RE: Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by kfleming » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:47 pm

If the reports were saved to the master file directory, then you could just copy the report to each company directory.__Alternatively you can run the reports via runtime where you can use the RI_MASTER and RI_ALIAS fields of the control table to specify file paths/names.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Bob_(Guest)

==> RE: Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by Bob_(Guest) » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:26 am

Hi Kathleen,____I wish it was that easy that we could just copy to each company, but there are no master files or central location. Each company has their own databases. Same names but decentralized files.____Wouldn^t it be just as time consuming to create control tables for each report as it would be to open and re-point each one?____Thanks,__Bob__

kfleming

===> RE: Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by kfleming » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:24 am

I guess you get to pick your poison on this one and do what is the least painful for you.____Kathleen__R&R Support

tsnyder9185

=> RE: Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by tsnyder9185 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi Bob,____I have a set of reports (over 100) used by 32 "companies," so I know it can be done without making multiple copies of the reports themselves. In fact there are probably 3 or 4 ways to do it, but the solution for you depends on how your data tables are named and where they are stored. It is not clear to me from your post how you are set up. Do you have:____Folder Company 1__ table1__ table2__ etc.__Folder Company 2__ table1__ table2__ etc.____OR____Folder Companies__ table11__ table12__ table21__ table22__ etc1__ etc2____OR ____Folder Companies__ Table1 (contains field, "company" which contains "01", "02", etc)__ Table2 (ditto)__ Etc (ditto)____There are 3 distinct solutions to the three setups. I^ll help you if you want me to.____Tim__

Bob_(Guest)

==> RE: Re-pointing tables and indexes

Post by Bob_(Guest) » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:15 am

Hi Tim,____I would appreciate your help if a solution is possible. I^ll be more specific on our situation.____- We have 25 reports that were written under one company.__- We now are in the process of copying them over to the remaining 26 companies and re-pointing the tables and indexes of each report. Very time consuming and monotonous. Did 126 yesterday.____All the reports do not use the same master table and related table(s).__In most cases the tables and indexes involved are stored and named the same.__The data is stored:__f:company1dbf^s and cdx^s__f:company2dbf^s and cdx^s__f:company3dbf^s and cdx^s____The exception is one table and index that is stored:__f:company1wksdbf and cdx__f:company2wksdbf and cdx__f:company3wksdbf and cdx__AND to complicate things, for 19 companies the table is named c1__earn__and in the other 8 it is named c001earn____I thought I had two other options available...__make control tables__or__put the reports (as the users eventually want them) in Rapid Runner sets____What stopped me from using either is there are some reports that are using FlexLink instead of a cdx and tag and both the control table and Rapid Runner are looking for cdx^s and tags.____Tim if you have a solution I would be very grateful as I have about 314 to go. I hope I have described our set up a little better.____Thanks,__Bob________________________