Report Script files

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Nick

Report Script files

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 am

I need to convert a large number of RandR reports that are currently written to run against against Foxpro free tables with CDX files to make them usable in a .Net application.____Currently, we use the VFPOLEDB provider for Visual Foxpro with RRWRun and .rrw files, and have no problems under Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 32 Bit. ____But, recently a couple of our customers are experiencing intermittent "read only" errors when the application attempts to generate the dbfs and cdxs - before we even issue the command to invoke the runtime. We^ve done all the standard stuff.. compiled for x86, Install as Administrator, Run as Administrator and cant resolve the issue.____So, we are thinking it might be time to break the dependence on VFP, move the data source to the MDB format that we now use, and use the SQL R and R runtime. And, to make that process easier, we are considering reportscript if reports can be batched and sent to the runtime as we now do with the rrw files. ____So, my questions..____1. Can Reportscript replace RSW files for each report and then be passed to the RRSQL Runtime ?____2. Can RR Infinity generate this ReportScript, and if so, what are the steps?____If not, are you aware of whather the ReportScript that is generated as XML by Plan-Be^s tool is compatible with RRSWRUN and in turn be able to replace the rrw files.____I^ve looked through the documentation but am a bit confused by it all.

kfleming

=> RE: Report Script files

Post by kfleming » Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

The best solution would be to convert the RRW reports to RSW format using RRCNVRT.EXE and selecting an Access ODBC datasource and then editing the reports after conversion. The amount of editing that will be required, really depends on the reports. In some cases it is easier to just start over in the SQL version.__Reportscript is not really going to give you a head start on this process.____Kathleen__R&R Support