Report Script from Existing Report

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Peter_Brooks_(Guest)

Report Script from Existing Report

Post by Peter_Brooks_(Guest) » Mon Apr 16, 2001 12:47 am

We would like to use the Report Script option where a layout of a report can be modified from within our application and this modified layout the used to print via the R&R Viewer. There are a few queries regarding this section:__ Can an existing R&R Report be saved in the Report Script format.__ Our application uses the Viewer DLL interface to print the R&R reports. How do we print a R&R report via the Viewer DLL if we use a Report Script - I can^t find anything in the help files or any samples.____Is there any additional information or any samples available that show how Report Script files may be generated from external applications and printed via the R&R Viewer.____

kfleming

=> RE: Report Script from Existing Report

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 16, 2001 6:11 am

Report scripting is an area of the product that has not gained lots of attention since its inception.____We do not have a utility to save an existing R&R Report in the Report Script format.__The viewer will not allow you to pass it a script file for processing.__The only report scripting documentation is what is found in the manual.____Kathleen__R&R Support__

Peter_Brooks_(Guest)

==> RE: Report Script from Existing Report

Post by Peter_Brooks_(Guest) » Mon Apr 16, 2001 7:37 pm

Kathleen,____Thanks for your prompt reply.____I saw the Report Script as a great way to provide an additional level of integration from our application to the R&R Report Writer. My design of this interface was based on the contents of the SQLDevelopers help file. The following is an extract from the R&R Help File about printing reports using Report Scripts. ____********************FROM R&R Help File***************************__You can also use a ReportScript file to generate reports with the Viewer. You can create a script file and have it executed by the Viewer to define and run a new report. To do so, you would supply the script file name to the Viewer in any of the following ways:____·_as the RI_REPORT field value in a Viewer control file;__·_as an argument to the chooseReport function of the Viewer DLL;__·_as an element of the ReportName property of the custom control.____© 2000 Liveware Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.__*****************************************************************____Reading the chooseReport function, it is unclear as to this function could be used to print from a Report Script file hence my original question.____Are you saying that the manual is incorrect and that the Report Script cannot be used as mentioned above? What works and what doesn^t work with the Report Script. Is there a way then that a Report Script can be read into the designer to generate a normal R&R .rsw report file ie. is there any way that we can use the Report Script as part of our application.____Am I wasting my time trying to use the Report Script as means to improve our applications integration with the R&R Report Writer - if that is the case then I have egg on my face as I have pushed this R&R Report Script solution over the use of Excel as a Report Writer. ____

kfleming

===> RE: Report Script from Existing Report

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:54 am

I stand corrected. __In runtime A report script file may be used anywhere that a report file name would be specified.____Kathleen__R&R Support