Report Status in R&R SQL V9

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
SimonBray

Report Status in R&R SQL V9

Post by SimonBray » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:48 am

Is there no equivalent of the Report Status during execution of a report in R&R Designer (haven^t got as far as RRWRUN yet) in SQL V9. I am referring to the little dialog that counts the records read, rcords selected, records totalled etc. All I am getting when I do a Print Preview is a blank white screen which becaise of the otehr problems I am having selecting records across tables (my quesry about outer joins) is taking an absolute age to run. I would like to know how many records the report is reading/selecting.____I thought moving to R&R SQL was going to make me feel like I had been living in the dark ages with Xbase - so far nothing has convinced me of that !____Simon Bray.

kfleming

=> RE: Report Status in R&R SQL V9

Post by kfleming » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:45 pm

The record status bar that you see presents what R&R does internally with records. In SQL a lot of the work gets off-loaded to the SQL engine. If you want to see a status bar, you need to force R&R to do some work locally. One way to do this is to add a sort field that requires local evaluation.____So for example if you are sorting a report by the table field COMPANY, in the SELECT statement passed to SQL, there will be an ORDER BY COMPANY clause.__But if you create a calculated field with the expression:__RR(COMPANY) __and make this calculated field your sort field in place of the table field COMPANY ,the RR function forces local evaluation and the ORDER BY COMPANY is no longer part of the SELECT. (To see the SELECT you can use the command Database->Show SQL). And you will see the record progress box. BUT the total time for the report may be a lot slower since we are making the local machine rather than the server do the work.______Kathleen__R&R Support