Best way to format??

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

Best way to format??

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:03 pm

I have a report where I want to print 15 rows EVERY time, which are the records. I will have a subtotal, remainder, and total future row beneath these. My problem is I want 15 row to show up every time where or not there are more or less than 15 records for my yearly numbers. What is the best way to approach this? I am playing with logical printing of filler rows with just zeroes, but I am wondering if setting up 15 calculated fields for each row and then just populating them with data or zeroes is the way to go. Or is there another way?____Thanks

Pat_Dempsey_(Guest)

=> RE: Best way to format??

Post by Pat_Dempsey_(Guest) » Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:33 am

It^s easy to get rid of rows > 15 by just suppressing printing if the record number is > 15. However, getting a report writer to print lines when there is no record may be a real trick. If you can control the file containing the records, padding records with blanks when there are less than 15 records seems to be a straight forward approach.____I^d be interested in the other possible solutions on this one.____Pat__

kfleming

=> RE: Best way to format??

Post by kfleming » Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:20 am

Is what you need to print 15 lines for each group even if there fewer than 15 records for that group?____You could do that with logical line printing of group footer bands based on the total records for that group.____Kathleen__R&R Support

FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

==> RE: Best way to format??

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:45 am

Yes, I do want 15 records (years) to print whether or not there are more or less than 15. I started down the road of setting up group footer bands with zeroes and trigger them to print based on the number of years actually there. It is getting complicated since I have to set up 15 rows (max # to print) and I have 3 sets of these 15 on my report page. So I was looking for a more compact way to do it and I thought maybe using logicals within fields to either print the real record or display a zero.

kfleming

===> RE: Best way to format??

Post by kfleming » Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:14 am

I think that the route you are going is the simplest way (even if not so elegant) to get there.____Kathleen__R&R Support