Big problem when moving to new printer

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
pbla1_wcc

Big problem when moving to new printer

Post by pbla1_wcc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am

We^ve just replaced our networked printer, and I^ve just noticed that RRW files contain the full details of the printer in use when the report was created. R&R still sends the report to the old printer - even when it has been deleted from the list of available printers in Windows & doesn^t exist any more!!____This means that I^ve now got around 80 reports to open, change printer & re-save, or the alternative of adding RI_WPTR parameters into the same number of control files.____This really is a crappy design decision. Why is there any need to hold the printer name & address in the RRW file? If you have to put it in the file, why isn^t there any quick way of changing it?____This has not made my day!

Top_Dev_User

=> RE: Big problem when moving to new printer

Post by Top_Dev_User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:38 pm

That^s why RI_WPTR exists - so you can place the proper printer in it before printing any report. It is not fair to blame the product for your failure to plan for the future.____All of our programs give the user the option of choosing from all the available printers with each report. The printer chosen by the user is then saved in RI_WPTR and the report goes to the selected printer. Slick!!!____