SQL join error

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

SQL join error

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I am trying to do a join from Tables A->B->C all linked on the same field, which there is only one of each in the tables (one to one joins). When I try to run, I get ____"DB access (Microsoft) ODBC Access Driver) join expression not supported"____I then tried A->B and A->C on the same field and I get the same error. This seems like a simple join, what am I doing wrong?____thanks__Fred Emmerich

rboatright

=> RE: SQL join error

Post by rboatright » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 am

What is the join expression that you are ending up with? ____You should be able to end up with ____from a join b on a.field1 = b.field1 join c on a.field1 = c.field1 ____if that^s not what you^re getting, what ARE you getting as your join? __

FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

=> RE: SQL join error

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 am

select__ ONE.`C371`, AC_PROPE.`PROPNUM`, AC_PROPE.`RPT_NAME`, AC_PROPE.`RSV_CAT`, AC_PROPE.`GATHSYS`, OLDPROP.`PROPNUM`, OLDPROP.`RPT_NAME`, OLDPROP.`RSV_CAT`__ from __`ONELINE-Changes` ONE, {oj `AC_PROPERTY-11-10` AC_PROPE left outer join `AC_PROPERTY-11-09` OLDPROP on AC_PROPE.`PROPNUM` = OLDPROP.`PROPNUM` } __where__ ONE.`PROPNUM` = AC_PROPE.`PROPNUM` ______I think the left outer join is the problem, which makes sense in the A->B->C scenario, but I don^t understand why it would be a problem in A->B and A->C. I created a query in Acess that does this and it has no problem.__

kfleming

==> RE: SQL join error

Post by kfleming » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Access outer join reports can include only one joined table. This is an R&R rather than a SQL restriction. Using the query is definitely the way to go.____Kathleen__R&R Support