SQL2008R2

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Dixon

SQL2008R2

Post by Dixon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm

We were using v10 on SQL2000. We have a column in a table called GameRowID with a data type of numeric with a length of 9. When we upgraded to SQL2008R2 the data type changed to varcahr. When I try to open a report I get the error "Charcater field ^GameRowID^ is no longer in the table ^tblResults^". I altered the field to be numeric(18,0), which seems to be my only numeric choice in SQL2008, but got the same error. I also tried int with the same result. Any suggestions? We have 30 or so reports that depend on this field for calculations.

cstrasser

=> RE: SQL2008R2

Post by cstrasser » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 pm

R&R retains information about the type of a field. If you change the underlying database and then reopen a report, even if the field has the same name, R&R will check for it to have the exact same type and if it doesn^t match, will kick it out.____We had clients who upgraded their sales system and the company changed all the dates to datetimes. R&R complained about all the fields and we had to handle the conversions through some alternative methods.____If your "GameID" field was numeric in 2000 and it was converted to varchar in 2008, R&R should have complained that the numeric field gameid wasn^t found in the database.____On some level, R&R has determined that the field was a character field and your converting it back to numeric 18, 0 seems to have created a problem.____What happens if you create a view and cast the fields to be new datatypes?
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.