Time to load a report in Infinity (SQL)

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
bobby_c_(Guest)

Time to load a report in Infinity (SQL)

Post by bobby_c_(Guest) » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 am

Hi - first time post here, nice to see this resource. I^m a long time user of R&R products going back to the late 80^s. After we rewrote our app using a SQL backend db (Oracle), I downloaded Infinity last week to see if it would be an appropriate tool. To my relief, I like familiarity of the interface, though to be sure I have plenty to learn (especially with joins).____So my immediate issue is the time it takes to load a report, whether it be in Infinity or at runtime. Some background, the Oracle db is at a hosted facility, so I know that there should be a lag in connection as I am accessing it via the internet (albeit with a fast connection). The master table for the report is a data view, it contains 90% of what I need. However I linked it to another table (one to one relationship) to pull some more information.____When I try to open this report in Infinity or use it at runtime, it takes at least 5 minutes to load, way too long. The application I use to the same db loads the view in just a few seconds, as does other tools, such as Toad or SQL Developer. If I remove that one join, the report loads in just a few seconds. The join seems pretty simple, I^m worried that in future reports that will be much more complex, R&R won^t be the right tool.____Is this common? Any suggestions? Again, I^m no expert in joins, perhaps I^m doing something wrong. Once the report is loaded, the query doesn^t take too long to return the results. However loading it is painful, especially at runtime as there is no indication that anything is occurring. I know I can have someone add more to that view, however I^d rather not have to do that for every report.____Thanks,__Bob__

kfleming

=> RE: Time to load a report in Infinity (SQL)

Post by kfleming » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:52 pm

What happens if you try a single table single field report. Is that equally slow?____Kathleen__R&R Support