Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:24 am

In order to speed up the loading of R&R Infinity, I asked what could be done. I was told to put the line PDFDRIVER=0 into the rrw.ini file.____It did speed up the loading. So I did the same on a client^s computer, and when he went to print a report as a PDF (a standard procedure set up for emailing PO^s to vendors), the message CAN NOT MATCH PRINTER OR PORT IN CONTROL FILE came up. By taking out the line PDFDRIVER=0, he is back to normal, but not after his being annoyed about the whole episode.____Please, I urge you, if you give advice to do things, such as speeding up a procedure with the fix recommended, let me know the downside so I can be properly informed. I had a follow-up question about this, and no response. I hope you don^t see this as unreasonable.____Jeff

Mark_Fonseca_(Guest)

=> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Mark_Fonseca_(Guest) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 am

As a suggestion it is much more practical and cost effective to use external PDF print drivers like PDF-eXPLODE that provide not just PDF creation but also email, archiving and exploding/bursting capability without any programming requirement.____

Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

==> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 am

Mark,____This sounds interesting and I will certainly check it out. I guess what you^re saying is that PDFDRIVER=0 is a way to disable R&R^s PDF driver, and thereby speed up the loading of R&R, and using a PDF driver like PDF -eXPLODE is the way to compensate for disabling the R&R PDF driver when a PDF driver is needed. I hadn^t thought of this as an approach, but it sounds like the way to go.____Thanks for the advice.____Jeff

jstiegler

=> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by jstiegler » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:06 pm

We discovered also that adding PDFDRIVER=0 will speed up the reports. However, we also found that an external PDF generator is needed, like PDF Factory.____We have found that the built-in PDF feature in ReportWorks are not worth the trouble.__

Cliff_Wiernik

==> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:29 pm

The problem with a product like PDF-Explode is that it is cost prohibitive for many companies that have alot of PDF users. Plus, the process has to be able to be totally controlled by the program without user intervention. PDF-eburst was a nice concept, but requires Adobe PDF standard and could not be controlled by another program. PDF-explode looked promising until I checked for the cost of 100 users. I can get other report writers that can do pdf^s, but would like not to change for the ease of use and power of ReportWorks.

kfleming

===> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by kfleming » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Have you looked a PDF995? It is only $9.95 for each user.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Dutch

====> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Dutch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 pm

Dear Katleen,____I^ve used Amyuni for many years and got the same problem. ____Is the PDF995 do as the same Amyuni? ____I can send the file name without user prompt for enter the file name. It means I can run RRWRUN.EXE in my program and export to PDF file without enter the export file name by user.____Is it correct?____Regards,__Dutch

Cliff_Wiernik

=====> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Kathleen, does the PDF995 work properly via the run time under program control where there is no user intervention required to specify the file save name????

Mark_Fonseca_(Guest)

===> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Mark_Fonseca_(Guest) » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:44 am

I have used the PFD995Edit suite for years with RR and it works well. You can programmatically tell PDF995 what file name to use and where to save it. But you must check for the existence of the PDF file before moving onto the next job, so you have to pace yourself.____HTH____Dave Francis

Cliff_Wiernik

====> RE: Watch out for PDFDRIVER=0

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:25 am

I think you are referring to putting locations in the registry. What do you mean about existing before moving on. Is there some type of concurrency problem or if you have multiple tasks/programs generating pdfs at the same time, will it cause problems.____Could you elaborate a little more.