choose tray....

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Thomas_(Guest)

choose tray....

Post by Thomas_(Guest) » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:43 pm

Hi....____How i can choose a printer-tray when i use RRWRUN with Control-Files?__Is it true that the only way to do that, is the properties save with the report?__(RR 9.009 XBase)____Is it possible to print the first page on tray1 and the next pages on tray2?____Thomas__________

kfleming

=> RE: choose tray....

Post by kfleming » Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:35 am

You cannot currently select a paper tray at runtime and you cannot select a tray on a per page basis in either the designer or runtime.______Kathleen__R&R Support

ninterdo

==> RE: choose tray....

Post by ninterdo » Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:43 pm

What is your suggestion, then for a problem printing a report to an HP 5L or 2100 (and who knows how many more) printer using the runtime. These printers switched the printer trays from previous models.____Currently, the application populates riwprntr with the Windows default printer. This solves most printing problems except the trays - unless the default printer is set as an HP LJIII. That is a bit old and not a great workaround.

kfleming

===> RE: choose tray....

Post by kfleming » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:46 am

The runtime tray problem requires us to make a code change that would allow you to explicitly set a tray to DEFAULT or a valid tray choice.____We can hopefully make this improvement in the next release in 2002.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Sergio_(Guest)

===> RE: choose tray....

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:27 pm

I hope this is also fixed for the 6.5 version. Just last week I had to tell a customer they had to use a different printer when printing R&R reports because every time they tried to print to their HP5, the printer produced an error message and didn^t print. The same printer works fine with other applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc).

kfleming

====> RE: choose tray....

Post by kfleming » Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:09 pm

We are only doing new development on the 32bit version.__No updates are planned for the 16bit.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Sergio_(Guest)

=====> RE: choose tray....

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:56 am

They don^t have to switch printers. They just have to put paper in the _default_ tray. ____For many printers, the default is the hand-feed tray (where most people don^t put paper). This is annoying but not insurmountable for some printers because the user can set the default tray once using the printer^s LED control panel and then forget about it. ____But what about the people who need the default tray to stay where it is for some reason? They have to constantly switch it back and forth for the benefit of an app that uses R&R. And God help them if they have TWO apps that use R&R.____But many other printers (an increasing number of printers) don^t have an LED panel or don^t let the user set the default tray. HP tells me that^s because they don^t expect users to tinker with such things and it is the software^s responsibility to address the correct paper tray. And they^re RIGHT!____So what is the solution for most users? There isn^t one! The only thing that they can do is hand-feed paper because there is no way to tell R&R to look elsewhere except to configure one report for every printer and paper tray.____This is really disappointing! I^ve been using R&R for about 10 years and I^ve been told numerous times that a future upgrade would fix this glaring problem. I just paid _$300_ to upgrade from v6.5.08 to v9 only to find that it STILL hasn^t been addressed.____-Bob

Direct Lenders

====> RE: choose tray....

Post by Direct Lenders » Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:12 pm

Sign me up for that update :-)

kfleming

Post by kfleming » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:34 am

Kathleen, it has been six months since you said this. Can you tell us what is the prospect of a fix sometime soon? Is it among the highest priorities? Is there a patch planned soon?____Desperately waiting....____-Bob

Bob_Velke

Post by Bob_Velke » Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:08 pm

Kathleen?!?____-Bob