file is already open error

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jennifer_(Guest)

file is already open error

Post by jennifer_(Guest) » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:31 pm

I have a user that is trying to save forms from v6.5 into v9.0. He can save them just fine. It^s when he tries to open them is where the problem comes in. If he clicks open on the toolbar and tries to open his file again, it comes up with a message stating that the file is already open and would he like to make a copy of it. Any ideas???

kfleming

=> RE: file is already open error

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:05 am

We have had a handful of users report this problem however we can never really reproduce it. __If you close then re-start R&R, it will work around the problem.____But the reason is still a mystery.____Kathleen__R&R Support

jennifer_(Guest)

==> RE: file is already open error

Post by jennifer_(Guest) » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:07 pm

Even if I close out of R & R and reopen it, I still get the same message.

kfleming

===> RE: file is already open error

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:10 pm

Try adding the line__LIBRARIAN=OFF____to the [DEFAULTS]section of C:windows rw.ini and see if it helps.______Kathleen__R&R Support

GrobockBozy

====> RE: file is already open error

Post by GrobockBozy » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:52 pm

Kathleen,____I have had a couple of clients that have experienced this same problem. The only thing my company has found in common is that both of these clients were using Novell for there network operating system. The workstation operating systems have ranged from Windows 95 to Windows 2000. Also, this problem has occurred on R&R versions 8.0, 8.1 and 9.0. It is not only effecting opening and modifying reports, but sometimes running reports with the runtime module.____We would be more than happy to assist in fixing this problem. I hope this information is some benefit to your company.____Best Regards,____R. Brent Easterling__SOMAX, Inc.

kfleming

=====> RE: file is already open error

Post by kfleming » Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:07 am

The really quirky part is that the problem seems to happen intermittently with no predictable pattern.__I wonder if there are any users out there on Novell who have never seen the problem and if the problem is really on our side or something in the Novell configuration.__All questions without any answers....____Do let me know if you discover anything additional on this.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Dave_Francis_(Guest)

======> RE: file is already open error

Post by Dave_Francis_(Guest) » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:18 am

Hi,____I^ve got this problem intermittently on 8.1, but on an NT4 network with W95/W98 clients. Is the network saying the file is open? or is it a flag in RR somewhere? Is there any way of brutally unlocking the file so life can go on?____TIA____Dave____

kfleming

=======> RE: file is already open error

Post by kfleming » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:59 pm

Closing and restarting R&R should fix things. __Kathleen__R&R Support

HassanEren

======> RE: file is already open error

Post by HassanEren » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:58 am

We^ve experienced the same problem & we also use Novell. One thing that hasn^t been mentioned yet, is that although we get this message when we try to open the file from our R&R icon, we don^t get this message if we open the file from the MY COMPUTER icon.____Also, one user said that the first time he opens the file on any given day, he doesn^t get the message. He only gets the message the second time he opens it that day. When I tested it today, however, I tried opening a file I created in December and haven^t been in since. I still got the message the first time I opened the file today.____I^m hoping this info might help narrow down the cause of the problem.____Thanks,__Mary

theflash

=======> RE: file is already open error

Post by theflash » Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:00 pm

Kathleen, ____I don^t think that it is such a "mystery" as it is a bug. This is all very similar to the problems I am having on my NT4.0 w/ RR 9.0 using the RapidRun.exe runtime module. If ANY user on the network has one of the reports open at the same time the report is supposed to run automatically (or another user opens the same report) the report will get locked in the system. Closing and re-openining Report Runner will not do the trick, in fact the ONLY way I have so far been able to kill the report is to reboot my server (bad way to go for me.) ____I hope this bug can be fixed, or someone may have a better work around solution than rebooting the server.____Thanks