how to export to excel

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
toto_kiosqueto

how to export to excel

Post by toto_kiosqueto » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:48 am

Dear All,____How to export to our band header name and record to worksheet format or do you have any idea beyond that ?____Thks.in advance.____Toto

kfleming

=> RE: how to export to excel

Post by kfleming » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:25 am

Worksheet export allows you to select only a single band line for each export since what is being exported is really a database with defined data columns and rows.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Taavi_Remmelg_(Guest)

==> RE: how to export to excel

Post by Taavi_Remmelg_(Guest) » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi,__ after years of using R&R we found that best Excel results we get with this procedure:__1) Export from R&R to RTF __2) Open file with MS Word__3) "Select all", "Copy to clipboard"__4) Open MS Excel, "Paste".____Successfully working with hundreds of clients (with automated OLE procedure).____Taavi.______________________

Emetsky_(Guest)

===> Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by Emetsky_(Guest) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Taavi!____When I select all in Word, only the body lines get selected. For some reason, the page header lines do not get selected.____Do you have any idea why the page header lines are not getting selected?____TIA,__Emetsky______>Hi, __> after years of using R&R we found that best Excel results __>we get with this procedure: __>1) Export from R&R to RTF __>2) Open file with MS Word __>3) "Select all", "Copy to clipboard" __>4) Open MS Excel, "Paste". __>__>Successfully working with hundreds of clients (with __>automated OLE procedure). __>__>Taavi. __

kfleming

====> RE: Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by kfleming » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:13 pm

The page header and footer are sent to separate sections in the document so you need to view header/footer to see them.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Emetsky_(Guest)

=====> RE: Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by Emetsky_(Guest) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi Kathleen!____When I view header/footer in word and select all, only the header/footer gets selected. The body lines become disabled.____How can I select both the Header/Footer and Body Lines all at the same time?____Thanks! Spasibo!__Emetsky______>The page header and footer are sent to separate sections in __>the document so you need to view header/footer to see them. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

joseph

======> RE: Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Kathleen,____Will Report Writer (or Report Works) ever be updated so that the complete report (all displayed band-lines) can be exported to Excel? This has been a long standing problem for me and the clients who use our software which is using Report Writer for reporting. Other packages such as Crystal Reports do export all of the band-lines (very well in fact), however our organization and clients have made a huge investment in Report Writer and it would be a huge loss to move away from it to another package. Any comments?____Joseph

PrestonTam

=======> Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by PrestonTam » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 am

Another approach might be to add a conditional Record line at the top of the Record band that contains one text field per column with the column name you want in Excel. Set the print condition to Recno()=1 so it only appears once at the top of the file.____I think you may need to export to CSV format (which Excel recognizes) for this to work.____Rob__Plan-Be

kfleming

=======> RE: Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by kfleming » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 pm

If we had the development resources and revenue stream of Crystal, then adding this kind of functionality would be a much easier to do.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Taavi_Remmelg_(Guest)

====> RE: Cannot highlight Page Header

Post by Taavi_Remmelg_(Guest) » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:05 am

Kathleen,____I expect that it would be a significant undertaking for the development team to update the export functionality of Report Writer to Excel otherwise it would have happened by now.____The question is however, are there any future plans to include this functionality or at least provide some other means or functionality to accomplish this?____I have been continually upgrading our versions of Report Writer (and our customers as well) in hope that the functionality will be provided at some point in the future. So far it has not been and I have been using Report Writer for at least 9 years back since version 6.5.____Please let us know what your organizations position is in terms of providing this feature so that we can make some informed decisions as to which reporting package best meets our requirements.____Thanks,__Joseph