Call a FoxPro front-end program

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Conrad_S

Call a FoxPro front-end program

Post by Conrad_S » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:14 pm

How can I call a front-end FoxPro program once at the beginning of a report to build a master table? I have not been able to successfully create a database/query combination which includes the data I want for my report.

pdempsey

=> RE: Call a FoxPro front-end program

Post by pdempsey » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:52 pm

Conrad,____I think the solution is to run the foxpro front end first and have it build a set of temporary files which have key data to relate back into your regular VFP files. In a multi-user environment, you can build the temporary files with a naming convention and then alias the master file and the related files by passing a control file record.____Then call the RR runtime and pass it the name of the control file with the report^s name, aliases, etc. The temporary file(s) you create will only have the keys to the records that satisfy the filter conditions you used in VFP.____We have found that this works very well and both fast and stable. __We^ve been doing it for years in all versions from 6 to 10.____Hope this helps. Send an email if you want some more info.____-Pat-