records w/calculated field

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
lindam

records w/calculated field

Post by lindam » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:06 pm

I am trying to print records where the gross profit is 20% or less. The calculated field I created is GPtot and the expression for this field is extprc-extcst/extprc <=20. I have the Band Line Properties set up so when GPtot is true it should print those records. But it prints all the records. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?____All help is very much appreciated,____Linda

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

=> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:02 pm

Hi Linda,____try with: (extprc-extcst)/extprc <= 0.20____Michael.

Linda_M_(Guest)

==> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by Linda_M_(Guest) » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:02 pm

Hi Michael,____Thanks for the reply. This didn^t work either. Does it make any difference that the extprc & extcst fields are total fields that are performing calculations? I know there has to be a way to do this and I know I must be overlooking something very simple.____Any other thoughts?____Thank You,____Linda

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

===> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:22 am

Hi Linda,____so far I know very little about your report. But maybe you should __pre-proecess your totals. And why don^t you just put the values for __extprc,extcst,extprc and the percentage on the layout for debugging? ____Then you^ll have a clue what^s going on with these values.____HTH____Michael.

pdempsey

===> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by pdempsey » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:51 am

Linda,____What happens when you just print the totals (the elements of the calculation) on the same line? That will tell you what the formula is doing. It may be that the totals are resetting before the calculation is made.____Pat__

lindam

====> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by lindam » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:56 am

Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong. In my print when true calcualted field I was referring to the wrong field. So now it filters those records that have 20% or less gross profit. However it prints the header information for each salesman. Is there a way to have these omitted altogether? In other words I have a salesman that has gp amounts higher than 20% so in my report it shows salesman x and a blank page. How do I get this report so it doesn^t print the blank records?____Again thanks for your help.____Linda

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

=====> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:19 am

Hi Linda,____create a preprocessed total field counting the items for each salesman. Then create a logical calculated field "hasitems" bearing the value of "itemcount > 0". Then make the printout of the group header showing the salemsman information depending on "hasitems".____Michael.

lindam

======> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by lindam » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:36 am

Hi Michael,____I have created a total field called "itemcount" and have it set up "Count(ARMNAME,SLSMAN, Every,Pre-Processed)"____Then I created a calulated field called "hasitems" and the expression is "itemcount>0".____I used this as a logical field to print when true on the Page Header and it continues to print all records. I thought compressing record/group lines was supposed to prevent black records from printing. Can you think of anything I may be doing wrong? This isvery frustrating.____Thanks,____Linda

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

=======> RE: records w/calculated field

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:23 pm

Hi Linda,____Nope. I^m out of ideas....____But I could have a look at you report. Send it with "some" data to m.hoffmann@compar.cc. ____Michael.____