rrw file size problem

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Lynda_Wilson_(Guest)

rrw file size problem

Post by Lynda_Wilson_(Guest) » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Using version 10.1.003, I created a small, simple report (<100 KB).____I then inserted a large object & saved. The file size grew to 11 MB. ____I then deleted the object and saved. The file size remained 11 MB.____I have tried a ^Save As^, assigning a new file name, but this has no effect on file size.

kfleming

=> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 pm

You could try using the report converter to convert to an RP5 and then back to an RRW and see if that shrinks the size.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Ken_Waring_(Guest)

==> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by Ken_Waring_(Guest) » Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 am

I believe there is a more fundamental issue as to why this occurred...any thoughts on that?____What could possibly be hanging around that would cause this?

kfleming

===> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by kfleming » Fri May 18, 2007 10:04 am

Whats there is the space that was allocated for the object. I do not think that there is any logic in the code that tells it to shrink up any unused space in the report file. It would only be in the action of having to build a whole new file from the actively used pieces that would shrink the size (sort of like defragmenting a hard drive).____Kathleen__R&R Support

CBellucci_(Guest)

===> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by CBellucci_(Guest) » Mon May 21, 2007 9:10 pm

For R&R 6 and lower, there used to be utilities that would "pack" the file and release the previously allocated space. I haven^t found any such utilities for the later versions of R&R.__

Ken_Waring_(Guest)

====> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by Ken_Waring_(Guest) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Thank you for the replies.____To me this seems like something the reporting tool should be managing. A file size that grows like this with no mechanism to mitigate the problem is an application flaw.____Has this been addressed in newer versions?

kfleming

=====> RE: rrw file size problem

Post by kfleming » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 am

I just tried the workaround of converting a bloated file to RP5 and the opening the RP5 and doing a save as.____The resulting file does shrink to normal size.____I agree that it is a bug but since your are the only user to date to report this problem and since there is a workaround, we have added it to the bug database at a fairly low fix priority.____Kathleen__R&R Support