rrwrun.exe error in Win2000 and XP

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

rrwrun.exe error in Win2000 and XP

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:42 pm

I^m trying to distribute several reports using the R&R 10.1.3.0 version of the runtime. I keep getting an error saying rrwrun.exe has generated errors and my application hangs. __I^m calling the runtime from within Foxpro and am using a control table. If I run the rrwrun.exe by itself, I can select the report and view/run it fine. However, if I drag the control "In" file onto the runtime, the error is generated every time.____This happens on both a windows 2000 machine and a WinXP machine. The confusing part of this is that on other win2000 or WinXP machines run the reports fine from within the application. I^m not sure why the control file would work for some and not for others. ____I tried renaming the report in the control file to a report that doesn^t exist to try to force a "Cannot Find Report" error, but it never gets that far. The error seems to occur immediately, even before the fields in the control file are read. ____I have also saved the report with the same printer as is on the problem machines. Additionally, I tried putting the word "default" in the ri_wptr and ri_wport fields, but still get the error.____Fnally, the R&R pdf dll files are not installed on those computers. ____The problem really seems to be how the control file interacts with the runtime. Any help toward solving this problem is greatly appreciated.____

Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

=> more information

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:48 pm

I have simplified the control table to include only the ri_report field. However, I still get a "rrwrun.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" program error message. If I manually click on the rrwrun.exe and choose my report, it will run with no problems. I need to find out why the runtime is not able to run the control table.__

kfleming

==> RE: more information

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:52 am

What happens if you use the command line:__RRWRUN.EXE C:mylocationcontrol.dbf____where the path and name of the control DBF file are explicitly passed on the runtime command line rather than dragging the DBF to the EXE?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

===> RE: more information

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:32 pm

If I issue the command at the command line, the same error appears.

Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

====> RE: more information

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:12 pm

I also discovered that if I use the 1011.0.0.0 version of the runtime (RRWRUN.EXE), that the command line will not error and my reports run as expected. Any explanations on why I keep getting errors with the most current version of RRWRUN.EXE?

Thomas_Freitas_(Guest)

=====> RE: more information

Post by Thomas_Freitas_(Guest) » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:44 pm

When using foxpro or dbase make sure that you have no databases open prior to running the report. I use Visual dBase with R&R and have very little problems. I am assuming that the FoxPro and Visual dBase use the same internal command as described below.____The command for running a windows program is below. The .t. means that this is a windows program. This is followed by a comma then in quotes the rrwrun.exe along with the control file and the record number of the report in the control file.____If you are using RRW reports and not RP5 reports then make sure you have nothing in the RI_Library fields.____run(.t.,"rrwrun.exe rrwrunin 3")____Good Luck

kfleming

=====> RE: more information

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:51 pm

What happens if you try a text control file rather than a DBF control file?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

======> RE: more information

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:08 pm

A text control file results in an R&R xbase error box. It has a red circle with an "X" in the middle and the message says "not found" and at the bottom is a button "OK".____When I use the text control file with the old version of the runtime, it does not error. There seems to be some sort of interaction with the new runtime and Windows2000 and WinXP. The error also doesn^t occur on Win95 or Win98 OS^s.

kfleming

=======> RE: more information

Post by kfleming » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:33 pm

Are you using the format /T"path/filename"__So that the text file name is surrounded in quotes?____I can successfully use either a DBF or text control file on my 2000 and XP text boxes so it can indeed be done.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Greg_Neyman_(Guest)

========> RE: more information

Post by Greg_Neyman_(Guest) » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:21 pm

Yes, I am using the format described. I know that it can be done, because we have several XP computers that work as well. However, some always error as does the Win2000 Computer. I need to make sure the runtime works on all different formats before we can distribute the software and reports. I also need to figure out why certain conditions do not allow the runtime to function when called from the command line. Else, I am going to have unhappy customers calling me!