two files with like structures

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Harry_Jones_(Guest)

two files with like structures

Post by Harry_Jones_(Guest) » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:06 pm

This may sound like a very newbie question but I can^t figure out how to gather data from two files with identical structures to create a report. The two files are current and history and there may, at any time, be records of the same transaction in both files.__I think I need to write a function to toss the duplicates after the files have been joined. I would like to have the report join the files at run time rather than manually appending one file to the other before the run.__Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.__Harry Jones

kfleming

=> RE: two files with like structures

Post by kfleming » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:07 am

One solution would be to use the consolidate DBF feature that is available using Rapid Runner. Consolidate allows you to append records to an existing DBF file. You would create a report that exports to DBF. Run this report against the current file and export to a DBF. Then run it again against the history file and export to the same DBF file name using the consolidate option.____You then can create a report against the consolidated table.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Harry_Jones_(Guest)

==> RE: two files with like structures

Post by Harry_Jones_(Guest) » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Kathleen,__Thanks for the input but I still don^t understand how that would weed out the duplicates.__One of the files here is the current file and one is history - same structure.__If a record is still open in the current file, but was initiated in a prior month, the record will appear in both files. If I understand your methodology that would still leave duplicates in the report.__

kfleming

===> RE: two files with like structures

Post by kfleming » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:55 pm

If you group by a field or fields that identifies the duplicate you can put the information on a group footer band so that it only prints once per group.____Kathleen__R&R Support