Problems with SCANNING lines in report

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Bruce

Problems with SCANNING lines in report

Post by Bruce » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi,

I have a report that runs on three db files. One file is the master db and two child db's. I have two detail lines, one for each child db and some date selection properties set for each detail line.

The problem I have is that the first detail line prints fine with the correct filtering of records based on the line condition option. The second detail line only prints if I have no line condition filtering set. I have tried to swop over line 1 with line 2 of the detail line and both filtering works as long as it is the first detail line. When it is the second line it will only print if no filtering is set.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this? It looks like a bug of some sort as the report works until a filter on the second line is introduced.

I am using the latest version of R&R on dbf files and have 30+ years experience with R&R so do not think I am doing anything silly (but would not be the first time).

Best regards,

Bruce

cstrasser

Re: Problems with SCANNING lines in report

Post by cstrasser » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm

HI Bruce,
If you're scanning from the master into both child DBs, you need to take into account that you're essentially creating a checkerboard resultset:

MMMM CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
MMMM CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
MMMM CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
MMMM DDDDDDDDDDDDD
MMMM DDDDDDDDDDDDD

So that any query you impose on the "C" records will fail because its got "values" to be taken into account with the "D" records. In this case, if I wanted both, I'd have to structure my query so that it had something like:

Left(child1->field1, 1) = "C" OR Left(child2->field2, 1) = "D"

If you're not scanning, you may still have to take the OR relationship into account. However, it's possible that there are no records with a "C" entry that also have a "D" entry.

Without seeing the actual tables and data, I can't say for sure. Is it a commercial application you're using?
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks for the prompt answer, not too sure the point you are trying to make. It is our own application with patient data so not able to send data.

I will review what you have said and try to resolve. If R&R could do sub-reports it would be possible....

Best regards,

Bruce

cstrasser

Post by cstrasser » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, the graphic I posted in my previous comment got messed up (leading spaces were deleted).

Multi-scans similar to what I think you're trying to do are R&R's answer to sub-reports.

If you'd like some assistance, we can help. Something like what you're trying to do is chargeable. But we're likely only talking about 20 - 30 minutes at $2 / minute.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.