Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
FCIADavid

Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by FCIADavid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am

I recently upgraded from R&R 8.1 to 12.5. The upgrade was the easiest I have experienced for any software. I upgraded in order to use R&R in Windows 7. I am experiencing a problem in changing the SQL Statement through the database SQL Select menu option. As soon as I try to save any change to the SQL Statement the R&R SQL Designer program greyes out and and nothing happens. When I click on the program, I get a message that the R&R Report Designer, SQL Edition has stopped working.__ __Has anyone experienced this problem? What did you do to solve it?__Thanks for any help,____David__

cstrasser

=> RE: Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by cstrasser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the ease in upgrading. We appreciate it.____I^m not able to duplicate your problem with the SQL Select menu option.____Can you provide more detail about your database and report? Maybe it^s UAC or something similar causing the problem.____
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

Top_Dev_User

=> RE: Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by Top_Dev_User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

Thank you! It was remarkably easy to convert. The message I get is "R&R Report Designer, SQL Edition has stopped working." In the problem Details the Problem signature is "APPCRASH". I don^t see any other messages. I am using Windows 7 and Microsoft SQL Server 2000. Maybe the old version of SQL Server is causing the problem.

cstrasser

==> RE: Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by cstrasser » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:16 am

>Thanks for the kind words about the ease in upgrading. We __>appreciate it. __>__>I^m not able to duplicate your problem with the SQL Select __>menu option. __>__>Can you provide more detail about your database and report? __>Maybe it^s UAC or something similar causing the problem. ____The report is a user SQL report. SQL Statement to run is "exec EACTPR4 <<^7/31/12^>>"__ __This is the stored procedure____create proc eactpr4 (@as_of_date datetime = null) as____declare @date char(10)____if @as_of_date is null__ select @as_of_date = convert(datetime,convert(char(10),getdate(),101))____all regions:____select __ max(underwriting_region_code) und_region_code,__ max(h.policy_type) policy_type,__ h.policy_number,__ max(i.insured_name_1) insured_name,__ max(h.latest_effective_date) latest_eff_date,__ sum(report_premium_calculated) total_prem_calc,__ max(ship_to_date) last_ship_to,__ max(estimated_annual_premium) est_annual_prem,__ max(estimated_annual_premium/12) est_monthly_prem__into #Temp1__from psrdb..smpolh h__join psrdb..smpolc p___on h.policy_number = p.policy_number___and h.latest_effective_date = p.policy_effective_date__join psrdb..sminsd i___on h.latest_insured_number = i.insured_number__join psrdb..scptyp c___on h.policy_type = c.policy_type__join psrdb..swpolsurplus r___on h.policy_number = r.policy_number___and h.latest_effective_date = r.policy_effective_date__left outer join psrdb..smshdr s___on h.policy_number = s.policy_number__ _and h.latest_effective_date = s.policy_effective_date___and r.agreement_year = s.syndicate_year__where dateadd(month,3,latest_expiration_date) > @as_of_date __ and h.cancellation_date is null__ and p.mail_flag <> ^N^__ and c.special_risk_flag = ^N^ __group by h.policy_number____select und_region_code,__ policy_type,__ policy_number,__ insured_name,__ latest_eff_date,__ total_prem_calc,__ last_ship_to,__ est_annual_prem,__ est_monthly_prem, und_region_Name, ASof = @as_of_date__from #temp1 __join psrdb..Scurgn___on #temp1.und_Region_code = psrdb..scurgn.Underwriting_region_code__order by #temp1.policy_type, #temp1.EST_ANNUAL_PREM DESC____
Chris Strasser
Work bigger.

FCIADavid

Post by FCIADavid » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for providing the code. My configuration is Win7 64 hitting a SQL Server 2008 DB. I created a report to use a stored procedure as its basis (something I^d never done or known I could do).____However, I had no problem editing / changing the SQL expression in the report. I changed dates to pull different records from the database and it all behaved.____Have you tried it with a simpler stored procedure?

cstrasser

===> RE: Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by cstrasser » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:52 am

>Thanks for providing the code. My configuration is Win7 64 __>hitting a SQL Server 2008 DB. I created a report to use a __>stored procedure as its basis (something I^d never done or __>known I could do). __>__>However, I had no problem editing / changing the SQL __>expression in the report. I changed dates to pull different __>records from the database and it all behaved. __>__>Have you tried it with a simpler stored procedure? ____I am using a SQL Server 2000 database. Do you think that has anything to do with this? I tried the simplest stored procedure I could think of "create proc test0001 as Select * from table1". I got the same results.__
Chris Strasser
Work bigger.

FCIADavid

====> RE: Cannot Change SQL Statemen

Post by FCIADavid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 am

>Have you checked to see if there is a system or UAC message __>hidden behind the main screen. If so, that message should __>still be there as you close down R&R or your program. This __>would give more clues to the cause of the problem. __I found the message behind the main screen. The message I get is generic "R&R Report Designer, SQL Edition has stopped working" options are check online for a solution, Close the program or debug the program.

FCIADavid

Post by FCIADavid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 am

Have you checked to see if there is a system or UAC message hidden behind the main screen. If so, that message should still be there as you close down R&R or your program. This would give more clues to the cause of the problem.__