Cannot Open Database ...

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Mel_Smith_(Guest)

Cannot Open Database ...

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:15 pm

Dear Friends,____ Enviro: RRW 9.00 and Clipper Database____ After sending my latest upgrade to my user (the executable got a bit bigger), he was unable to run a report that has always ran successfully. The only difference was that the report ran from a slightly different location in the module -- which is why the executable is slightly bigger.____ The error message was:____ CANNOT OPEN DATABASE TABLE (TABLE MAY BE IN USE)____ We have confirmed tha that this table was *not* in use on my user^s C: drive -- only he was on it. User has a WinXP machine. Also, on another machine (I believe a Win2K machine), the *same* error message appeared.____ I have confirmed that I can easily run that report both on my C: drive locally, and on my network both on Win98SE machine and on a WinXP machine.______Question:__ Could the slight increase in size of the executable (approx 1000 bytes increase) making the .exe approx 709K bytes cause this error message to occur. That is, could RRWRUN get mixed up and not be able to start anmd send this ^faulty^ error message.____btw, the file definitely was *not* in use and was not locked in any way.____TIA,____-Mel Smith__

Eddie_Marshall

=> RE: Cannot Open Database ...

Post by Eddie_Marshall » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 am

I get this error when the data path that is stored with the report is no longer available and the data file path default has not been set in Options, File Settings. In this case all you need to do is point the report to the new location of the Master Table and then save the report.____I hope this helps.____Eddie

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

==> RE: Cannot Open Database ...

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:25 am

Eddie,____ Thanks for the info, but (in the wee hours last nite) I sat up in bed with an idea !____ It turns out that the RRW 9.0 error message *was* correct, and that there was indeed a missing file -- we all just didn^t interpret the error message properly :(((____ We all thought it was an insufficient file handle problem, and it was not.____So thanks anyway (and now back to bed).____-Mel Smith__