Cannot match printer or port in control file

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
syntel

Cannot match printer or port in control file

Post by syntel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

Hi:____Enviro: R&R Version 9 -- my old and steady friend :)____Problem: Moving my app to a new ASUS 64-bit laptop with Win 7 Home Premium.____Detail: I have a shared network printer (which is the Default printer)on this Laptop whose full name is:____ "Brother MFC-J625DW Printer on BESTXP"____ I ^know^ that the printer name is too long for the RI_PRINTER field in my control .dbf file so I lengthened the field to 40 chars.____ Anyway, I have always left the RI_PRINTER field blank because I don^t print to the shared printer.____ But, in my app I only create .pdf files. So, in my RI_WPTR field I have "R&R PDF Export"____ On my XP systems, this has worked perfectly for months now.____ I have tried several variations, but I still get the error noted in the title.____Can anyone (maybe Kathleen) help me please ?____Thank you____-Mel Smith__ ______

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

==> RE: Cannot match printer or port in control file

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

>Hi Mel, __>If you don^t actually have a printer in Windows 7 called __>"R&R PDF Export" then R&R will not find anything to hook __>onto. __>__>In XP and earlier, when R&R started, it created this printer __>on the fly so that you didn^t have to worry about it. With __>Windows 7, the O/S no longer allows this to happen, so you __>don^t get a printer that the report can reference. __>__>One thing you could try is to purchase the printer driver __>from Amyuni and rename it to match the R&R name. This __>typically works well. The Amyuni driver is about $80. ____Hi:____ I^ve sent an email to Amyuni to check if they will provide me with a pdf driver for my RRW9. Will probably here from them tomorrow.____Thanks for the tip !____-Mel Smith____

cstrasser

=> RE: Cannot match printer or port in control file

Post by cstrasser » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Mel,__If you don^t actually have a printer in Windows 7 called "R&R PDF Export" then R&R will not find anything to hook onto.____In XP and earlier, when R&R started, it created this printer on the fly so that you didn^t have to worry about it. With Windows 7, the O/S no longer allows this to happen, so you don^t get a printer that the report can reference.____One thing you could try is to purchase the printer driver from Amyuni and rename it to match the R&R name. This typically works well. The Amyuni driver is about $80.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.