Collating Pages when Printing

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Mel_Smith_(Guest)

Collating Pages when Printing

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Kathleen (& others):____Enviro: R&R Version 9.0____ I want to ensure that I ^collate^ pages when printing multi-copies of a report. I wish to do this in the *designer* and set collation as a default (even though I have no pages to print).____ Every time I set the ^collate^ flag in the Print Dialog Box, then Close the Print Dialog box, then Save the report, I find that (if I re-enter the Designer) the ^collation^ flag has been cleared again !____ Because in the designer I have no actual ^record-filled^ database (only a database header), I am unable to continue printing - it says (of course) no records found.____Question: How do you set ^collation^ as a default for a report in the designer ??____TIA,____-Mel Smith__

kfleming

=> RE: Collating Pages when Printing

Post by kfleming » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 am

There is not a way to set collation as a default.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

==> RE: Collating Pages when Printing

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

Kathleen said:______>There is not a way to set collation as a default. ____Kathleen:____ Then, is there a way from the Command Line to specify ^Collation^ as needed ???____ (btw, the reason I^m asking this question now after all these years is that my client has said that one of my reports has been printing ^collated^ while another almost identical report is printing *un-collated* and on investigation *neither* of them has the collation flag set ! -- This blows my mind !)____TIA,____-Mel Smith____

ohiopyle

===> RE: Collating Pages when Printing

Post by ohiopyle » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-07 AT 02:39 PM (EST)]Mel,__I think you^re issue might be related to one I^m dealing with (unsuccesfully so far). You can read my posting under this board as "Page Setup not Saving with XP/RR8+"____Here^s my guess:__R&R 8/9/10/11 seem to not play well with Windows XP as far as saving printer settings like collate with the report itself.____If I take a report on my XP machine and set the Collation and save it and then reopen it: THE SETTING DOESN^T "STICK"____If I take THE SAME REPORT on a WIN98 machine and set the Collation and save it and then reopen it: THE SETTING "STICKS"____Now to make matters more complex some printer drivers and some individual printer settings seem to be ok under xp. (whereas they all seem to work under WIN98) So for example on my HP 4250 lasers I can get the "Paper Size" but not "Paper Source" to save with the report!____One last item to make your head spin: even under win98 or xp, if you save a report under one printer driver model and reopen it under another, you will often flush all the advanced settings clean back to their defaults. So if many people in an office are sharing a report they need to have their own copy of the report, never save it, or have the same printer driver installed.____Steve__

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

====> RE: Collating Pages when Printing

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Steve:____>Here^s my guess: __>R&R 8/9/10/11 seem to not play well with Windows XP as far __>as saving printer settings like collate with the report __>itself. ____ I do all my developing on my Win98SE machine (an IBM Aptiva from Year 2000) with an attached HP960C deskjet. I have a Dell XP Pro machine (sp2) attached (as a server) in a small local network for testing my apps).__ __>If I take a report on my XP machine and set the Collation __>and save it and then reopen it: THE SETTING DOESN^T "STICK" __>__>If I take THE SAME REPORT on a WIN98 machine and set the __>Collation and save it and then reopen it: THE SETTING __>"STICKS" ____ I haven^t *yet* tried the collation ^sticking^ on my Win XP Pro laptop, but certainly I have *not* been able to get collation to ^stick^ on my Win98SE machine :(( (i.e., the reverse situation from yours) !!__ __>Now to make matters more complex some printer drivers and __>some individual printer settings seem to be ok under xp. __>(whereas they all seem to work under WIN98) So for example __>on my HP 4250 lasers I can get the "Paper Size" but not __>"Paper Source" to save with the report! ____ I haven^t tried the above, but I^ll try to give it a go on my win98se machine later.____>__>One last item to make your head spin: even under win98 or __>xp, if you save a report under one printer driver model and __>reopen it under another, you will often flush all the __>advanced settings clean back to their defaults. So if many __>people in an office are sharing a report they need to have __>their own copy of the report, never save it, or have the __>same printer driver installed. ____ __ So, I^m left with *my* head spinning too !____Thanks for your comments -- at least I know I^m not going nuts here.____-Mel Smith____(using R&R since the early ^90s -- I have had R&R V10 on my machine for several years but have been satisfied with 9.0 so I haven^t activated it)____

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

=====> RE: Collating Pages when Printing

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Steve,____ This afternoon, I went to my XP Pro machine and edited the report and first noted that the Collate flag was checked ! (but faded out because copies was set as default to 1).____ I set copies (momentarily) to 2, then saw the collate flag bolded and could edit it. I set it repeatedly from checked to unchecked and back again. I then *left* it checked and copies at 1, then exited. When I went back in again, the ^Checked Collate^ had disappeared finally and for good :((____To Heck with it !!____-Mel Smith