Combining Text Fields

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
mitch23

Combining Text Fields

Post by mitch23 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi, I am having a problem where I am trying to create a calculated field, that will combine the contents of several text fields together.__But I only ever seem to get the "last" field showing in my calculated field.____The situation is that each Person in my data can have several Options recorded against them. And each Option can have a set of Notes.__I wish to display a summary for each Person showing all of the Option Notes that they have. I am grouping by OptionNumber and by Person - and trying to print this calculated text field on the Footer for the Person group (in this instance I do not wish to list every option seperately).__But no matter what I try I can^t seem to get it to work. My combined text field only ever shows the contents of the Notes for the last Option (which can be blank if there were no Notes for it, depsite there having been Notes input for earlier Options).____Can anyone help?

kfleming

=> RE: Combining Text Fields

Post by kfleming » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Take a look at this article http://www.livewarepub.com/ftp/TechDocs/Printing_Related_Records.pdf____and see if it helps.______Kathleen__R&R Support

mitch23

==> RE: Combining Text Fields

Post by mitch23 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks Kathleen____managed to get it to work by using a set of conditional MAX functions on the text fields, resetting these values per person, and having one such field for each option.____then the calculated field in the summary line is able to combine these fields into one long string____cheers__-mitch