Conditional Totals

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Paul

Conditional Totals

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm

If you can^t use a generated total field as a conditional field in another calculation how would you accomplish the following in a different way. I have multiple Attendance records that need to be counted by Student and based on the count would be put into 1 of 3 groups: 1-4 group,5-9 group,10+ group. The part I^m having trouble with is generating a total count of students per group. Thanks.__

Solaris_(Guest)

=> RE: Conditional Totals

Post by Solaris_(Guest) » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:06 pm

case(group,1,"A",2,"A",3,"A",4,"A",5,"B",6,"B",7,"B",8,"B",9,"B","C")____(*therefore if 1-4 = "A" or 5-9 = "B", else "C")____Set this calculated field as a Group. Then use this in the total field as the Reset. Insert thios new group footer line, and put the total there.

Paul

==> RE: Conditional Totals

Post by Paul » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:35 pm

I Still have the same problem because "group" in the calculated fields: case(group,1,"A",2,"A" etc) is a preprocessed calculated total of the numbers of absences per student. The total field doesn^t like that calculated field as a reset group.

kfleming

===> RE: Conditional Totals

Post by kfleming » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:15 am

One way around this is to export the results of the report to a DBF so that you have a single record with the total for each group.____You can then link this totals report into the original report with a flexlink index to use the total as a regular database field.____Kathleen__R&R Support__