Conditional new page based on lines

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jefffried

Conditional new page based on lines

Post by jefffried » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:32 am

I^ll bet the answer is "No can do", but here goes.____You have a report with header and line items, such as a purchase order. Let^s say the PO has 5 line items, each with several lines of data, maybe from as little as 3 lines to as much as 12 lines.____You want to print all the lines of a line item on the same page rather than starting a line item on one page and ending on the next page. For example, on page one the report shows item 1, item 2, and the beginning of item 3, continuing item 3 on page 2, then going on with items 4 and 5. It would be better if the report can know that item 3 has 12 lines but there are only 5 lines still available on page 1 and, therefore, will go to page 2 to start printing item 3, thereby showing the complete item 3 on page 2.____There^s a concept like this in word processing, where a paragraph can be made to print on the next page if it won^t fit completely on the current page. Is this possible to do with R&R, either directly or indirectly (via some conditional logic)?____Thanks.____Jeff

kfleming

=> Conditional new page based on lines

Post by kfleming » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:46 am

R&R has built in widow/orphan control that will essentially do what you want automatically. Just make sure that you do not check the box break record area across pages in Format Record Layout.____Kathleen__R&R Support____

Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

==> Conditional new page based on lines

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:10 pm

Kathleen,____Thanks for pointing this out. However, I guess the automatic widow/orphan control does not fit my scenario, where I have multiple items, each with a header, and some with further detail lines. In this case, a unit (that which I would like to stay together on one page) would consist of the item header and all its dozen or so detail lines. For example, item 4 begins on page 2 after items 2 and 3 (which are completely shown on page 2) but wraps to page 3, where it shares the page with item 5. Ideally, R&R would know that item 4 and its detail lines will not fit entirely on page 2 and would therefore paginate and begin item 4 on page 3.____As I read the description of automatic widow/orphan control, it prevents the header from appearing at the bottom of a page without at least one of its detail records also appearing. My situation would call for the header not appearing at the bottom of a page unless ALL its detail lines also appear with it. Is this possible in R&R?____Thanks.____Jeff

kfleming

===> Conditional new page based on lines

Post by kfleming » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:08 am

Keeping all of the detail members of a group on the same page is not currently possible unless you always want to start a new page for each group.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

====> Conditional new page based on lines

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:04 am

Thanks, Kathleen. I assumed this would be the answer but just wanted to know for sure so I could tell my client.____Jeff