Connecting to SQL 2008 database

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
DAVE_I

Connecting to SQL 2008 database

Post by DAVE_I » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 am

I^m trying to build a report (beginning with 1 table only which contains basic employee information) using a table in SQL 2008. I built the ODBC connector using SQL Native Client. When I use R&R (v12.5) I drop a few fields on the detail row and run it without any filters. What^s weird is that only a couple of the fields show any data (e.g. the date employed). I checked my RSWSQL.ini and here^s a couple of possibly relevant lines:[SQLServer]__DataSourceDBMS = Microsoft SQL SERVER__DataSourceOuterJoinStyle = 1__DataSourceDBTerm=DATABASE__DataSourceProcVerb=exec____What am I missing? I thought I^d do a quick test trying to do the same thing with Crystal using the same ODBC connection and it worked fine.

ABessey

=> RE: Connecting to SQL 2008 database

Post by ABessey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Are The fields in the table NChar, Nvarchar?__I think that R&R cannot display some of the new SQL2008 Data types including the NVarchar types which are Unicode.__These data types just show up on preview as blank.__Use Varchar or Char or use the SQL convert function to change them. (SQL Report)__

cstrasser

=> RE: Connecting to SQL 2008 database

Post by cstrasser » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:09 pm

You can also create an R&R calculated field using the SQLEXP() function (which forces the SQL database to evaluate the contents of the parentheses).____Example: SQLEXP("CAST(allbuses.pickup as char(20))")
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.