ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
Dave_Francis_(Guest)

ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by Dave_Francis_(Guest) » Thu Nov 22, 2001 8:27 am

We, along with a lot of other small developers using xbase files, are having to look seriously at ADS. Files are getting larger and it is more and more difficult to maintain data integrity on MS servers.____I know ADS is on the Nice-to-have list, but I want to flag up here that the drift to ADS is gaining momentum. Is it possible that you could look at the work involved and give an if/when idea to us developers. There is already a crystal driver for ADS, but we don^t want to jump ship and start a new learning curve. Perhaps ADS would contribute to the effort?____TIA____Dave Francis

kfleming

=> RE: ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by kfleming » Fri Nov 23, 2001 9:07 am

We do hear you and can hopefully deliver an R&R solution in a reasonable time frame.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Dave_Francis_(Guest)

==> RE: ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by Dave_Francis_(Guest) » Fri Nov 23, 2001 10:15 am

Thanks Kathleen,____Can I push some more please? Could someone spend a day talking to ADS and assessing the task. If the task is too great, that would at least allow you to say "2 years plus", or whatever. That means we can plan our future a bit better.____We are always honest with our users (including saying "Sorry, can^t do it in the timescales"), and that has paid great dividends over the last 16 years. Liveware seems to have a similar attitude, so how about it?____Wishing more power to your elbow,____Dave Francis

Vascopn

=> ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by Vascopn » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:09 am

Mr. Francis,____We are considering moving to ADS and have been interested in it for some time. I would very much like to converse with you outside of this forum, but due to policy cannot post my email address. If you^re able/willing to do so, I will contact you directly.____Regarding R&R: We currently use version 6 for xbase against dbase. If we do move to ADS, we^ll need a new reporting tool. If Liveware produces an ADS compatible version we^d give it first consideration. So,there is another vote for ADS support in R&R. Hopefully Liveware is paying attention.____RJ

Dave_Francis_(Guest)

==> RE: ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by Dave_Francis_(Guest) » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:41 am

Hi RJ,____You can see I don^t come back to the pre-sales very often. Contact me at dave@suilven.com ____BTW RR works ok with ADS as long as you stick with the DBFCDX driver. The files on the server are standard format and the ADS driver allows others to open them for read-only use. ADS have their own file format for indexes which has some advantages over DBFCDX and that^s the driver that we are pushing for...____Dave Francis

Sergio_(Guest)

===> RE: ADS - Advantage DataBase Server

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:42 am

Hi Dave,____R&R works great with ADS/DBF-CDX files. The only problems you will have are relating to printing of data that was just saved/posted. My users have to wait 30-60 seconds before they see data on contract report.____The Advantage Support Engineers were great in helping me diagnose the problem. They also called R&R developpers but no initiative or plans were made to solve such an issue.____It^s been 2+ years I^ve been waiting. I^m slowly migrating my reports to Crystal Reports (not my favorite). Still would like to have R&R and ADS support.____Good luck!__Sergio______>Hi RJ, __>__>You can see I don^t come back to the pre-sales very often. __>Contact me at dave@suilven.com __>__>BTW RR works ok with ADS as long as you stick with the __>DBFCDX driver. The files on the server are standard format __>and the ADS driver allows others to open them for read-only __>use. ADS have their own file format for indexes which has __>some advantages over DBFCDX and that^s the driver that we __>are pushing for... __>__>Dave Francis __