Native ADTR support

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
accurata

Native ADTR support

Post by accurata » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:41 am

____Will there be any native ADS (Advantage Database__Server) support in the near future ??

kfleming

=> RE: Native ADTR support

Post by kfleming » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:54 pm

On the wish list for sure but the timeframe is still to be determined.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest)

==> RE: Native ADTR support

Post by Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest) » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:35 am

Since 2001 I hear that native ADS support is on some "wishlists". Well, it is on ours even longer as well, and now it has become mandatory. Several issues lead to this:____- timing/caching problems when updating DBF/CDX files via ADS and reporting them directly. Sometimes the correct data cannot be retrieved by R&R before some minutes. Reported to R&R development team by several ADS users; still no reaction.____- performance. ADS optimized sorting/filtering is much faster on the server as if being performed by R&R vie direct DBFCDX access.____- security. ADS allows restricting all rights to the database with windows/linux capabilities so that the data can ONLY be read/modified via the ADS client/server combination. Using R&R forbids this mechanism because R&R can only access the files directly.____The wish for a full support of the ADS Client/Server using xBase Files was reported to Liveware Publixhing since many years (and to Walldata / Concentric before). From year to year, we are told that this is on the wishlist and should only be a "timeframe problem".____But which timeframe? We^re talking about a couple of YEARS now; during that time, many kinds of "gadgets" like email reporting etc. were implemented and sold as minor and major updates (which we purchased all, being disappointed each time). What we^re still missing is one simple thing: the support of the fasted xBase oriented C/S database called Advantage Database Server.____Does Liveware Publishing plan to ignore all these requests until xBase will be finally dead and replaced by SQL? Such behaviour LEADS to this dead (or to another reporting tool).____Take a look at the Extended Systems (ADS) developer crew. THEY built a data dictionary AND an ODBC driver; with these two components at least R&R SQL can access the database. But this is slow (ODBC), expensive (because the data dictionary has to be built first), complicated (since masterfile, masterindex and aliases etc. are changed by control file, the conversion from RRW to RSQ becomes tricky and slow) and unhandy (because the interactive R&R SQL "runs" like a snail towards the dictionary supported database). It would have been so much easier to integrate the easy-to-use ADS client in the R&R like we have requested for so many years. ____Stefan__

kfleming

===> RE: Native ADTR support

Post by kfleming » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:05 am

One of our VP^s recently made a site visit to the folks at ADS so we are indeed still actively pursuing this. Stay tuned for more as the year progresses.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest)

====> RE: Native ADTR support

Post by Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest) » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:40 am

As you proposed I^m staying tuned :-). How about the progress?

castrass

=====> RE: Native ADTR support

Post by castrass » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:36 pm

See the last post in this thread for an update on Advantage Database.____http://207.5.91.140/dcforum/DCForumID4/37.html____Regards,__Chris Strasser