OLAP

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
Bob_Walker_(Guest)

OLAP

Post by Bob_Walker_(Guest) » Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:34 am

Comparing Crystal Reports to R&R. I need specific support for OLAP data, OLE DB, etc. Crystal has such support. Does R&R intend in a current or near future release to support OLAP to the degree that it is supported by Crystal? ____Currently using Arpeggio V2.0 and can find no reference to OLAP functionality in any documentation.____thanks____bw

kfleming

=> RE: OLAP

Post by kfleming » Sun Apr 08, 2001 6:38 pm

We do not support OLAP or OLE DB currently and will not including that functionality in the upcoming Version 9.____To date, We have not seen lots of demand from our customer base for that type of reporting.____Kathleen__R&R Support

ElwoodNax

==> RE: OLAP

Post by ElwoodNax » Tue May 22, 2001 10:45 am

Hi Kathleen,____I have been using R&R for 10 years. My developer has been using it since its first version. Together we have about 100 customers. ____I think that it is important not to base your responses on what you ^think^ your customers need vs. what you ^know^ they need. ____I do not remember being asked by anyone at R&R what I need. Perhaps a questionairre is necessary?____I think this lack of clarity regarding what customers need is expected given the rocky past this product has endured and I am appreciative of the fact this product has been resurrected.____I would like to clarify what I need as a customer...____1) A product vision that gives me confidence in the product.__2) A reason to believe that I should stay with this product instead of moving to a competing product.__3) A stable product.__4) Communication of this vision so I know where I can invest my knowledge base.______The two primary goals I have are...__1) WEB reporting__2) Crosstabs____If I could ask for it all...____A PRODUCT THAT DOES AT LEAST WHAT THE COMPETING PRODUCTS DO IN THE INDUSTRY WITH A CLEAR VISION TO STAY A LEADER AND A COMMUNICATION OF THIS VISION TO THE CUSTOMER BASE.____I have no idea what is coming next in R&R 10.0. I would like some feedback that these advanced features are coming.____Regards,__Ken Waring____>We do not support OLAP or __>OLE DB currently and will __>not including that functionality in __>the upcoming Version 9. __>__>To date, We have not seen __>lots of demand from our __>customer base for that type __>of reporting. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ______

kfleming

===> RE: OLAP

Post by kfleming » Tue May 22, 2001 1:57 pm

The fact that we have opened up this discussion forum is one way that we are trying to reach out to our user community.____One of the problems in moving forward is that each user^s priority list is in a somewhat different order.__And even for features whose name might be in agreement, the method of implementation may be perfect for user A and dreadful for user B.__For example- you say you need web reporting.__We do already have a web reporting solution-PDI export.__For some users this absolutely meets their needs.____We also need to balance the cost to implement a feature with the expected revenue that the feature will generate.____Right now I cannot for certain tell you what will be included in Version 10. But I can tell you that all of our management team does indeed follow the traffic on this forum and we try to keep track of what is happening generally within the database and reporting industry.__And we do want to be in this business for the long haul.______Kathleen__R&R Support______

Chris_Strasser_(Guest)

===> RE: OLAP

Post by Chris_Strasser_(Guest) » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:06 am

I^m putting my 2-cents in way after the fact, but I want to let Ken and others know that we do listen to what they want.____As for crosstabs, we^re going to implement them within the framework of existing R&R by building them with a wizard to eliminate the tedium of the current process. While you won^t be able to dynamically (yet) flip rows and columns, it^ll be possible to rerun the wizard with little fuss and re-order the report.____The upside is that the components of the crosstab will be as flexible and moveable as any part of the report.

Pat_D_(Guest)

====> RE: OLAP

Post by Pat_D_(Guest) » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:18 am

I hope crosstabs can be done through the runtime viewer.____Pat__