Sybase stored procedures

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
Sheila_Wood_(Guest)

Sybase stored procedures

Post by Sheila_Wood_(Guest) » Fri Nov 23, 2001 11:54 am

I am evaluating R&R Report Writer 9.0 SQL Edition.__Can we run reports using Sybase ASE 12 stored procedures instead of selecting against tables or views? The information on ODBC seems to only refer to views and tables.

kfleming

=> RE: Sybase stored procedures

Post by kfleming » Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:09 pm

For stored procedures, you need to use the menu choice File New User SQL.__This will bring up Enter SQL SELECT dialog box where you can EXEC the procedure. So if you have a procedure called my proc, you would enter:____EXEC myproc____Here is some additional info from the Help file on improving performance when using a stored procedure.____If you have a User-SQL report that calls a stored procedure, you may notice a delay when reading the report, especially if the stored procedure is complex. This delay occurs because Report Designer must execute the stored procedure to extract the resulting column definitions.__You can avoid this overhead and reduce report-reading time by providing Report Designer with field definitions. For each stored procedure you use with Report Designer, create a table in the same database with a name that consists of your stored procedure name preceded by the characters RSW_. For example, if your stored procedure is named myproc, create a table named RSW_myproc. This table_s column definitions must match exactly in name, number, and data type the columns that will be returned by the stored procedure.____When Report Designer reads a report that uses a stored procedure, it will first look for a table with that name in the database. If the table exists, Report Designer will use it for column definitions. Otherwise, it will execute the stored procedure to get the resulting column definitions.________Kathleen__R&R Support