upgrade from Dos 5.1 ??

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
Rick_Johnston_(Guest)

upgrade from Dos 5.1 ??

Post by Rick_Johnston_(Guest) » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:27 pm

Long time R&R Dos user, may have to enter Windows world soon!__( A large issue is becoming lack of free conventional memory impacting use of the Dos program and rruntime within Windows )____1)I did buy Windows version 8.0 quite some time ago, but never found it very usable in small test. Report coversion, report formatting,etc seemed difficult at best. Has this improved in 10.0?____2)Is there an upgrade price from either my Dos version or the Win 8.0 version I also own?____3) Features I use that are a must are__- runtime execution from Foxpro__- abilty to create print files__I would assume these would not be a problem??____One other great addition for me would be conditional color printing. Is that available?____Thanks for your help,__Rick__

kfleming

=> RE: upgrade from Dos 5.1 ??

Post by kfleming » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:47 pm

I think that you will like V10+ a whole lot more than V8 in terms of ease of development and formatting of reports. However any hurdles you faced converting your DOS reports to V8 may be the same in V10.__ __You can indeed run runtime reports from Foxpro and can send the report output to file.__ __Conditional color printing is accomplished by placing two fields on top of each other, each having a different color and print condition.__For example if you want to print a numeric field called AMOUNT in red only when it is a negative number, you would create two calculated expressions.__The expression of the first would be:__IIF(AMOUNT<0,AMOUNT,BLANKNUM())__You would place this on the layout and set its color to RED.__The expression of the first would be:__IIF(AMOUNT>=0,AMOUNT,BLANKNUM())__You would place this on the layout directly on top of the first field and set its color to BLACK.__ __The result will be then negative amounts in red and all others in black.__ __Kathleen__R&R Support__

KevinCak

=> RE: upgrade from Dos 5.1 ??

Post by KevinCak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:01 pm

I too was disappointed when testing R&R 8 as an upgrade from R&R 6 running on DOS 6.22 ... ____1) report conversion was ... not so hot.____2) tragically missing was the keyboard interface (keystroke commands I^ve been using since Thanksgiving 1987 when I bought R&R immediately after trying the dBASE report writer).____Has R&R 10 addressed either of these limitations directly?

kfleming

==> RE: upgrade from Dos 5.1 ??

Post by kfleming » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:07 am

The main issue that one might have in converting from DOS to Windows would be formatting. But since Windows has more robust choices than DOS, the conversion gives you the opportunity to make reports look much nicer.____Yes the / menuing selection is gone in Windows. The transition may seem painful at first but after a while becomes quite natural.____Kathleen__R&R Support__and user of the product since 5.25 floppies__