Language support/stringtables

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
Paul

Language support/stringtables

Post by Paul » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:12 am

Hi, ____In a multi-language environment it is now very difficult to use R&R because I have to duplicate each report and translate all text strings. Maintenance becomes very hard if you have 3 copies of each report!____I now sometimes use a table (DBF) in which I store language strings but even then it is difficult to make the report.__Each fixed text on the report has to be replaced by a Calculated field that uses CLookup() and you have to pass in the desired language code and the number of the string. __e.g.__Clookup("VZSCOREDET "+ DETAAL+ "14"+space(8), "MSGTEXT", "RRMESSAG.DBF", "RRMESSAG.CDX", "RRMESSAGX1")____It works but if the report has 30 fixed texts then it becomes quite a mess (30 calculated fields).____A possible way to do this much much easier would be that you would add some properties to Text fields (there are now 3: Text, Alignment, Export) in which one could DIRECTLY refer to a string that has to be retrieved in a table or even a conventional text resource file. No need for calculated fields then.____So I could easily put textfields on the designer window, but instead of typing in text myself, I would enter:__- the string identifier __- the name of the resource file____If you need more info please let me know. This is very important for me. ____PS: For those who don^t see the problem I challenge you to create a multi-language version of one of your reports. Multi-language meaning that it becomes totaly language-independent. All strings come from an external table or text resource file. ________Paul De Bie______________