Last Page Number

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
Norman_Michie_(Guest)

Last Page Number

Post by Norman_Michie_(Guest) » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:17 pm

I need to print a series of scientific reports. For example, each report is two pages long and i want to print 5 reports for 5 separate samples. Page x of y numbering is essential.____The page number resets correctly whenever sample number changes but the last page number cannot be reset so each page of each report comes out as Page 1 of 10 etc.____I understand this is a bug but when is it going to be fixed? I need it fixed now not in a year^s time.

kfleming

=> RE: Last Page Number

Post by kfleming » Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:07 pm

So you want page x of y where the y is the number of pages in the group rather than for the entire report?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Norman_Michie_(Guest)

==> RE: Last Page Number

Post by Norman_Michie_(Guest) » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:31 am

Yes, it sems that what i want is a last page number that changes with the group rather than the whole report.____I have been told that this is currently implsible but would like to be informed otherwise.

kfleming

===> RE: Last Page Number

Post by kfleming » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:41 am

It is on the enhancement list for a future release.__Currently it is really not available.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Norman_Michie_(Guest)

====> RE: Last Page Number

Post by Norman_Michie_(Guest) » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:32 am

How soon before the future release? And will this be a paid-for new version or, as it should be, a free bug-fix?____When you say that it is "not really availalble" do you mean that it is availalble in some form or other. I need this feature now and would like it even if it is a local patch for our system only.

Norman_Michie_(Guest)

=====> RE: Last Page Number

Post by Norman_Michie_(Guest) » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:45 am

Is this feature now available in version 10?

kfleming

======> RE: Last Page Number

Post by kfleming » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:37 am

It did not make it into V10. Sorry.____Kathleen__R&R Support

fburcaw

=======> RE: Last Page Number

Post by fburcaw » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:41 pm

kfleming,____It would be a big help if this was fixed in a patch for version 9 users.____Any possibility of this happening? If so, what is the timeline for completion?____Thanks;____fburcaw__________

kfleming

========> RE: Last Page Number

Post by kfleming » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:07 am

Since we are now at Version 10, any future changes such as page x of y numbering at a group level will happen in Version 10 or beyond. We will not be making any further changes to older releases.______Kathleen__R&R Support

David_(Guest)

=> RE: Last Page Number

Post by David_(Guest) » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:17 pm

Hello Norman,____I have spent countless hours until I found a way around this problem but here is how I did it step by step:____1. Create a new calculated filed, call it: One, in the expression field type: 1.____2. Create a Total field called CountOne with following properties:__Count, Field: One, reset at: Group, Accumulation: Every composite, Pre-processed. This should result in displaying total number of records for the group. Insert this filed in your page header and run the report from your application to ensure that this is what it actually does (screen print will suffice). For best results prepare a record batch with at least two different groups with records that make up 2 or 3 pages. In my case result was 89 records in first group and 51 in second.____3. Count how many records are on one full page (in my case this was 40 individual records per page). Say you have X number of records. Subtract one: X-1=Y____4. Right click on the Field: CountOne in R&R and select Font. Change color to: White, so that it does not print on the report. Do the same for the field called: One.____5. Create a calculated filed called: TotalPg with following expression:__CountOne/Y+1 where Y is records per page minus 1.____6. Insert field: TotalPg in your report and this should give you an accurate total pages result for each group.____This is how the above works:__Idea is simple: Field CountOne gives us a result of total records per report as our starting point. Then we divide this by number of records per page.____However the above is not accurate just yet.____There are two problems with this calculation:____There may be occasions when total records are equal to record per-page. Depending on your layout your Group total may print on a second page resulting in total of 2 pages, but your TotalPg will display 1.__We fix this by substracting 1 from records per page.____Second problem: total records divided by records per page is not always a whole number so if your record total is 85 and your records per-page is 40, 85/40=2.125 (2 pages) when in-fact there will be 3 pages as a result. We adjust this by adding 1 to this result CountOne/Y+1____I hope the above helps. It worked for me nicely and I hope Livewire team will add a technote based on this fix (if they decide this would work universally) to their knowledge base for others to read.____Regards,____Dave____________