R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
Sergio_(Guest)

R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Tue Aug 28, 2001 9:33 pm

Everutine I come to this discussion group, I cross my fingers hopping that livewarepub has annouced a release that supports ADS database. ____How long do we wait? Wasn^t ADS support to be ready during March 2001?____Please keep give us some news!__Sergio

kfleming

=> RE: R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

Post by kfleming » Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:37 am

It is still on the to do list.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Sergio_(Guest)

==> RE: R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:57 pm

Take your time! Maybe my retirement package will come before ADS support.__Sergio

kfleming

===> RE: R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

Post by kfleming » Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:42 pm

The problem in a small company is in finding sufficient resources to accomplish all of the things that we would like to do. ADS support is indeed on the to do list but it is not at the top of the list since it not something that most of our customer base would use or care about.__As our revenue stream grows, we will be able to devote more resources to issues that impact a smaller percentage of our customers.__Believe me, I would love to add ADS support since many of those who are asking for it have like you been loyal R&R supporters throughout the years.______Kathleen __R&R Support

George_O_(Guest)

=> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by George_O_(Guest) » Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:48 pm

This seems like an ideal add-on that would be sold for a fee to those who want it and are willing to pay for it?____Since many of us have no use for such a feature and never will, I for one would prefer to see features and enhancements in R&R that benefit the broad base of R&R users. ____Things like crosstabs, improved charting, better support for HP printers, etc.

Sergio_(Guest)

==> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:33 am

Kathleen,____Scancode is a huge warehouse / distribution center application that has a huge market share in Canada. I work for one of several VARs in the US that are bringing this product to the US market. At this moment R&R is the only reporting engine natively supported by Scancode. I along with the rest of the US VARs who are bring this software to our biggest customers are plagued by R&R^s inability to report against data in a database above the 2gb mark, and preformance problems I can only assume is caused by Report writer directly querying the database. Both of these problems would be quickly resolved if R&R supported ADS.____It has been represented in this forum that ADS support was expected in March of 2001, that was 51 months ago! The problems I mention above has Scancode^s engineering group evaluating other solutions for reporting and forms printing. If you do not wish to loose this user base along with all of their customers who would be inclined to purchase a copy of R&R to develop reports that can be run from within the application then we will need some type of commitment from your company, along with a time frame.____Thank you,______G.T. Barsi__Network Administrator / Field Services Engineer__CM Systems, LLC__Phone: 860-674-8450 x113__Fax: 860-674-8475__E-mail: gtbarsi@cmsys.com__Web: http://www.cmsys.com

castrass

===> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by castrass » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi Kathleen,____> runtime entry variables <____Wow! <g>____> We found that this dialog would have to contain, essentially, all of the R&R functions necessary to design a report, except for the layout. <____But we were halfway to Filemaker! <g>____> ADS... low priority... promised four years ago, etc. <____What Stefan was trying to say is, that, by not supporting ADS, you position R&R as a non-proprietary table toy - ala Excel. <sigh>____Excel^s claim to fame was undermining network administration. Likewise, Livewire, short of making ADS a priority, insists their customers, doing non-proprietary tables properly, mismanage information assets at the network administration level.____Derek__

GTBarsi

====> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by GTBarsi » Wed May 18, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Kathleen,____>> ADS support is indeed on the to do list <<____Sep-01-01? <g>____>> ADS support is... not something that most of our customer[s] would use or care about. <<____They don^t bear the burden of knowledge and you^ve been at this a long time. The issue here is larger than simply dis-honoring commitments. Team CDS solved for the problem of reporting by appealing to reality (viz., truth) - and what a framework they delivered for the time! Pandering to the lowest common denominator is not what innovators do...____>> As our revenue stream grows... <<____Has it? <g> ____>> I would love to add ADS support since many[?] of those askiing for it have... been loyal R&R supporters <<____Team Advantage are innovators. They^re gonna have to write the driver. The order of precedence is database, development tool, utility (e.g., R&R). <g>____The only question that remains is: are you willing and able to convince them it^s worth it, and provide the level of support/code they need.____Derek__

Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest)

====> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by Stefan_Ungemach_(Guest) » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:53 am

What support are you looking for? I use R&R with ADS without any problems! R&R opens the files read-only so there is no conflict.

Nick

====> RE: R&R and ADS-Server

Post by Nick » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:29 pm

R&R works fine with ADS/DBF files. The problem is only when my Delphi application saves a record to dbf, and user prints report on that record (ie contract), they have to wait 30-60 seconds to see data.____Here are my workarounds:__. Close dbf before calling R&R__. Put a timer in code when executing such reports____Besides that, R&R is great and always worked with ADS/DBF files. The ADS support engineers worked hard to identify this problem and also tried hard to explain it to R&R developpers. It^s been almost 2+ years and no progress.____Since Crystal connects to dbf^s via ADS client server engine, this problem is resolved.____Later...__Sergio