R&R and ADS-Advantage Database Server

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
GTBarsi

====> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by GTBarsi » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:31 am

I wanted to update everyone on where we stand with this.____Last November, I flew out to meet with some of the key people with the Advantage product line to learn more about the problems and to come up with some sort of plan for addressing it.____Since then, I^ve been configuring tests and analyzing the problems. Some initial findings:____1. The problem with accessing large databases (over 2GB) is not an R&R issue, but rather a function of the version of the Microsoft Foundation Class libraries we^re using (the cFile::Seek class sets the high-order bits to NULL which limits the file pointer to 2^31 - 2 bytes). We^re looking into ways to get around this.____2. The latency problem, whereby updates to the data files are not reflected in reports for up to 60 seconds is harder to duplicate. I^ve gone through a couple of scenarios...__ a) INSERT records into a table using the Native SQL Utility__ b) UPDATE records in a table using the Native SQL Utility__ c) Manually change values in the table being viewed / reported____In cases b) and c), my report reflects the change either immediately when I rerun the report (<- in the viewer) or when I move off the record in the table. In case a), I see the change as soon as I make a change to the report that requires a refresh of the composite database (i.e. scope, query, sort).____One possible solution: We are analyzing the reporting engine to isolate how R&R *knows* to refresh the composite database following one of the actions noted above. Once we understand this, we can add a setting to *always* refresh which might resolve the problem.____------------------__If anyone out here can give me some specific steps to follow to see the problems in another light, I^d be grateful. My environment for testing is:____Windows 2003 Server__R&R Version Xbase Edition 10.0.011__Advantage Database Server 7.0.0.1 Local__DBF Files Natively, not ODBC

Chris_Strasser_(Guest)

=====> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by Chris_Strasser_(Guest) » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Just a thought, ____Extended Systems writes ADS drivers for Crystal, why couldn^t they assist you in establishing ADS connectivity to their databases? ____Allot of there users use Xbase DBF Files, and as a resut it is likely that R&R would be on a short list of reporting engines they would consider. I work for a company that specializes in integration of systems for the warehouse and I would hate to see the software manufactures of the core products I sell to switch their support of R&R to another database engine.______G.T. Barsi__Network Administrator / Field Services Engineer__CM Systems, LLC__Phone: 860-674-8450 x113__Fax: 860-674-8475__E-mail: gtbarsi@cmsys.com__Web: http://www.cmsys.com

Randallpruts

====> ADS as a priority

Post by Randallpruts » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:27 pm

When I visited Extended Systems last year, I asked them about assisting with a driver. They were lukewarm to the idea of providing the level of assistance that would be necessary. They also could not provide me with the source for the Crystal driver they wrote because it was done with Crystal^s input and contained proprietary information.

Derek_(Guest)

==> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by Derek_(Guest) » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi,____>> I visited Extended Systems last year, I asked them about assisting with a driver. They were lukewarm to the idea of providing the level of assistance that would be necessary. <<____Maybe they value persistence. <g>____>> They also could not provide me with the source for the Crystal driver they wrote because it was done with Crystal^s input and contained proprietary information. <<____Yes, that would have made it a tad easier. <g>____Derek__

Randallpruts

======> RE: R&R and ADS

Post by Randallpruts » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:51 pm

There is another important need to join R&R with ADS:____ADs is able to access databases completely through the "SYSTEM"-account. That means, all Windows techniques to restrict users from modifying the xBase files can be used since the communication with the ADS-driven apps relies on the ADS client. If the administrator prevents the user from seeing/modifying/deleting files, the application still works fine, but the user cannot disturb the database furthermore (with Excel, File Explorers etc.).____As we are working for our national governments, this is essential for us to keep the certifications for our software - I am reporting this to the R&R staff since many years. Meantime, the problem becomes existential for us cause the government looses its patience. So do I...____One (complicated) way to work around the missing native ADS driver (relying on the ADS client SDK) for R&R was to generate the data dictionary of ADS dynamically (because our databases often extends its structures) and to access the database via the ODBC SQL streamline driver. This works, but (1) very slowly, and (b) with the need to convert each report manually. Unfortunately, nearly every report contains some relations which have to be manually edited - and we have about 1000 almost complex reports! The generation of the dictionary is not trivial, too: because our database is spread among some user-specific directories whicht can be changed at runtime, it is nearly impossible to guarantee a valid dictionary.____All these problems would disappear if there were some ADS drivers as with Crystal Reports. Of course, the suggestion of the Extended Systems staff is to use THIS product - we hang on R&R just because we already did so in 1988. We offered to PAY for this development, too (so please, Kathy, don^t tell us about poor resources!) - but I was informed that we had to offer several thousands of dollars just to move this issue upwards on the wish list (not, as I had thought, to get a solution). As I am no fool, I would pay for results - not for goodwill.____So I am satisfied to hear about some progresses with the ADS integration - but I still do not read anything about the things you are planning. WILL you write a driver for ADS (this is not so difficult, as the Extended Systems staff which I visited on the EAC two months ago told me)? WILL it rely on the ADS client-server-techniques? We are definitely running out of time, and on my desk lies a note from the vice president to switch to another reporting tool if I cannot present some results... :-(____Regards__Stefan

Randallpruts

====> ADS as a Priority

Post by Randallpruts » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi George,____>> I use R&R with ADS without any problems! <<____If you believe that every user you deploy reports to ought to enjoy rights to the database folder, then we^ll have to agree to disagree. <g>____Derek____