Auto-Generation of scripts

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
DChilders

Auto-Generation of scripts

Post by DChilders » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:02 pm

This would be very helpful, to take a report and be able to export a script which would serve to produce the same report in runtime mode.____Actually, it^s surprising that this hasn^t been implemented yet, in version 12.x.____

kfleming

=> RE: Auto-Generation of scripts

Post by kfleming » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:50 am

The runtime executable can read/execute a report file itself so what additional functionality would you want a script to provide?____Kathleen__R&R Support

DChilders

==> RE: Auto-Generation of scripts

Post by DChilders » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 am

>>The runtime executable can read/execute a report file itself so what additional functionality would you want a script to provide?<<____To be able to modify parts of the report on the fly, or even auto-generate certain types of reports in an application. RR will still be required to run the report, and that^s fine.____Also, I would prefer to leave a readable descriptive report file when I leave the company or get laid or, rather than an .RRW file. It makes the outsourcing transition smoother.____What is the purpose of having the scripts to begin with? Just the front-end angle? ______By the way, the method of ^parsing out^ a Report Specification, in order to generate a script, has a few holes. The FIELD INFORMATION section doesn^t list the complete text of fields longer than 21 or so characters. At the very least, it would be helpful to have scripts corresponding to the sample reports; it^s always easier to work from an example, as opposed to bits and pieces from a Help file.______Sorry, Kathleen. I^m happy with RR in general - I^m glad it^s stayed alive all these years - but these features would be nice to have. And they make sense, at least to me.______Regards,____