Text Export - Needed Enhancement

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
Fonz

========> RE: Text Export - Enhancement

Post by Fonz » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:45 am

I am not very clear on your requirements. But it seems to me that you want to produce an export file without ANY Blank lines or page breaks. You compare the DOS product Printer facilities with the R & R Windows versions. There are some fundemental differences between how a DOS software handles Printers to that of the Windows based. In DOS, every program is required to have their own in built Printer drivers and they must handle printing of reports; so output from 2 DOS softwares to the same printer can have big differences (if they have not created proper drivers.)Windows controls all printer jobs, so the page sizing falls outside R & R^s domain.____What I do is I design my reports using R & R SQL V8.1 and set Page margins to be ^0^/^0^/^0^/^0^(Top, Bottom, Left, Right). I then provide these reports (^RSW^) to Users of my software - Report Wiz, which is ^front-end^ software for R & R /Crystal/MS Access Reports and they can schedule it with multiple parameters, Change filters, give the export a Dynamic Filename (i.e. - insert a format date keyword like Today,Yesterday, Tomorrow in any manner of ddmmyyyy, mmddyy, mmdd, dd, mm, etc in any position of the filename/extension). Once the file is created, ReportWiz, if required, can remove ALL Blank lines and pagebreaks as well as ^pad^ the file out to any desired fixed width. It will resave the file to the same path and name used. The users use these files for electronic uploads in the Financial Industry.

kfleming

=========> RE: Text Export - Enhancement

Post by kfleming » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:41 am

Stay tuned for the next 10+ update. It will have a new checkbox option in Text Export that will allow you to eliminate page breaks.____Kathleen__R&R Support

wfm050

Post by wfm050 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:44 am

That is great! Now can you also see about squeezing in the features I posted in "Sell more R&R upgrades" (6-25-2003). Then I will gladly give you my $100 also.__

Cliff_Wiernik

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:47 am

Your comment about DOS and printers is not really valid in the text export context. Exporting to a text file included no printer formatting and thus the printer specified is irrelevent. The ACH file example is an excellent example of what is needed. An ability to export any report to text with no printer formatting and no page breaks. I hope the 10+ version as Kathleen mentioned does in fact correct the problem.