Values from 2 tables in one column

We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback for future R&R releasees.
happydermis

Values from 2 tables in one column

Post by happydermis » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Hi all,____I would like to build a report as follows:____In one column the ID number of products produced in our factory. These products are all taken from one Xbase table; let^s call it "intern".__Under the list of intern products I would like to have a list of all the products that we bought from other manufactureres. This information is taken from a different table; let^s call it "extern".____The problem is: I don^t know how to list information from one table (in the "record" section) and directly following a list of information from a different table. ____Example: ____Product ID__-----------__intern-1 (from table intern)__intern-2 (from table intern)__intern-3 (from table intern)__extern-1 (from table extern)__extern-2 (from table extern)____In the end I will have to sum the price of the intern and extern products to see how much one project coasted us.____I hope my explanation was clear... :-/____Many thanks, Dekers __

kfleming

=> Values from 2 tables in one column

Post by kfleming » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:19 pm

You would need to build a multi-scan report that uses a third table as the master file.____You can pick any table as the master and limit the scope to one record.__Then create a calculated field with a constant value such as ^ABC^__Then build a scan relation to the first item file using this calculated field as the linking field. Create a flexlink index on the related table whose expression is also ^ABC^ and then set the relation type as scan.__Then do the same for the second table.____Follow the instructions in the R&R documentation for creating a multiple scan report.____Regards,__Kathleen__R&R Support

happydermis

==> Values from 2 tables in one column

Post by happydermis » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi Kathleen and thanks for the quick answer,____First a technical question: is it possible to move this thread to the R&R users forum? I posted it here by mistake and I am sorry about that.____I must admit I was a bit overwhelmed by your answer... I am yet to master R&R and I often find it difficult to understand some things even in the help file :-(____Anyway - since I don^t give up I will just keep nagging and biting until I will get this project finished ;-)____So let^s take it step by step:__You wrote that I should pick one table as the master table and than limit the scope to one record. Do you mean over the "Master Table" Menu? Do you mean I should limit it by giving the same start value and end value taken from the table? I use _Avantage Data Architect_ to look into the DB-table and there I can see the record number of the article I search for. Is this the scope you mean??____That will be all for the beginning, many thanks__Dekers__

kfleming

===> Values from 2 tables in one column

Post by kfleming » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Send me an email and I will send back a sample report and data set so you can see an example.____Regards,__Kathleen__R&R Support__livesupport@livewarepub.com

happydermis

====> Values from 2 tables in one column

Post by happydermis » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:50 am

Oh! many thanks!____here it is: r.schuchmann@zeltwanger.de____I wish you a good day :-)

happydermis

=====> Report will not run

Post by happydermis » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:59 pm

Many thanks for your efforts!____I will need some time until I will digest this stuff but I will keep you informed...____One thing: I couldn^t get to report to run. I put all three dbf-Files into the DB (all three into the same folder) but I still get an ERROR than the file anydbf.dbf cannot be opened (might be in use - but it is not in use)____Any ideas?____Thanks, Dekers__

happydermis

=====> groups, headers and footers

Post by happydermis » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:23 pm

Hey again,____You have created a calculated field called â__WHICHSCANâ__ for table â__internâ__ - do I need to create a field like that for each table I use in the report?____Can I use as many tables as I want with this method or may I use only two tables?____You have a group field with the name 1GH-WHICHSCAN. Is the name important? Does the name point to the SCAN calculated field? I did as you told me but my group fields are called GrpHead1 â__ does the name has any meaning?____Thanks, Dekers__