16 bit error on install XP

Over the years we've worked with or supplied a variety of utilities. As questions about RattleRR, RapidRunner, PDFeXPLODE, pdfEburst, converter, librarian, data dictionary, Amyuni, etc.
Cindy_Reed_(Guest)

16 bit error on install XP

Post by Cindy_Reed_(Guest) » Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm

I^ve read the forums on the Vista 16 bit error ~ but I^m getting when trying to install on a XP PC with all the updates. ____It is the 32 bit version of the operating system and has all the recent updates. Will the new version of R&R fix this issue?

kfleming

=> RE: 16 bit error on install XP

Post by kfleming » Thu May 10, 2007 8:28 am

There is not a reason why it should not install on XP. Are you installing from CD or from a network location?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Nick

=> RE: 16 bit error on install XP

Post by Nick » Fri May 11, 2007 1:48 pm

Cindy,____There are two things that worked for me in this instance.____1. Some versions of XP dont have the necessary files to run 16 bit applications. ____Here is a short fix you can try that enables most Windows XP systems to install 16 bit software. Try it before going to the Microsoft site, which has a more detailed explanation and procedure in addition to this one.____Click Start, click Run, type C:windows epair, and then click OK. ____Right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy. ____Click Start, click Run, type %windir%system32, and then click OK.____In the System32 folder, press Ctrl + V to paste the Autoexec.nt file in this folder. ____Close all windows and attempt to start the program or installation once again. ____* If you receive an error on Step 1, repeat Step 1 and replace C:WindowsRepair with %windir% epair ____------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------____SYMPTOMS__If you try to start or install an MS-DOS-based or a 16-bit Windows-based program on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message that is similar to one of the following: __ __16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem__path to the program that you are trying to start or install__C:WinntSystem32config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ^Close^ to terminate the application.__ __16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem__path to the program that you are trying to start or install__config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ^Close^ to terminate the application. __ __16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem__path to the program that you are trying to start or install____C:WindowsSystem32Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ^Close^ to terminate the application. __ __Although you may be prompted to quit the program or ignore the error message, either selection makes the program quit. __CAUSE____This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or damaged: _ Config.nt ___ Autoexec.nt ___ Command.com ____RESOLUTION____Visit the Microsoft web site by using the following link __http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767____2. Install in Safe Mode____I have had situations where, even doing the above does not work. In that instance, if I boot Windows in Safe Mode, I can install 16 bit installer applications. ____Good luck,____Nick