Problem: Clipper - XBase++

Over the years we've worked with or supplied a variety of utilities. As questions about RattleRR, RapidRunner, PDFeXPLODE, pdfEburst, converter, librarian, data dictionary, Amyuni, etc.
feivel3333

Problem: Clipper - XBase++

Post by feivel3333 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:48 am

Hi,__I am new in programming what concerns the migration from Clipper to XBase . Now I have to translate a Clipper-Program into XBase.__I am using the Advantage Database Client because I want to speed up my program. I had no problems before integrating ADS. But the program has been very slow on a Novell-Server. So I choosed ADS to make it faster. ____But now:__The first big problem was to open DBF-Files.__I could open files without a Memo-Field without any problems.__But when I tried to open a File with a Memo-Field, the DbUseArea()-function sended back a lot of errormessages. I could not open the file.__The file is not corrupt or damaged. I checked it.__Can anybody tell me what I have to do when I want to open a DBF-File with a Memo-Field?__What kind of settings do I have to make? What kind of commands do I have to use?__Does anybody have a piece of source for me where I can see what I have to do?__But remember that I have never migrated a Clipper-Program to XBase.____Thanks a lot from Andre.__

Randallpruts

=> RE: Problem: Clipper - XBase++

Post by Randallpruts » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi Andre,____>> Can anybody tell me what I have to do when I want to open a DBF-File with a Memo-Field? <<____You need to open it VIA the right database driver.____Clipper memos have a .dbt file extension. Foxpro, .fpt.____Advantage supplies drivers for both.____.dbfs, with no memo fields, are essentially the same in either case. ____Adding memo fields makes them different.____> Syntax__ DBUSEAREA( [<lNewArea>], [<cDriver>], <cName>, [<xcAlias>],__ [<lShared>], [<lReadonly>]) --> NIL____... Examples____ _¡ This example is a typical use of the DBUSEAREA() function:__ DBUSEAREA(.T., "DBFNTX", "Employees") <____The driver for Advantage Clipper is, or at least used to be, "DBFNTXAX"; Advantage Foxpro, "DBFCDXAX"...____Derek__