Runtime and No Records Found

Over the years we've worked with or supplied a variety of utilities. As questions about RattleRR, RapidRunner, PDFeXPLODE, pdfEburst, converter, librarian, data dictionary, Amyuni, etc.
Dave_B_(Guest)

Runtime and No Records Found

Post by Dave_B_(Guest) » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:23 pm

When running reports using the runtime OCX in a VB6 app, is there any elegant way to handle the "No records found" result within the application? I am aware of V11^s Title band that allows for outputting a "No records found" message as report output. But I need to be able to tell my user interactively (e.g. via a message box in the app - why force them to look at a wasted piece of paper or open a PDF file to see that there were no results?) and I also need to do some other processing in my VB6 app if the report produces nothing. For example, if I am sending the report results to a PDF file for more processing later, I need some way for my VB6 app to know that there were no results so as not to act on the PDF unnecessarily. ____Interestingly, when no records are found (and I am not using the special "No records found" Title bandline) it appears that the PDF is still created but attempting to open the PDF results in an error message about a "possible damaged file" in Adobe Reader. That^s too bad because if R&R would simply not create the PDF file I could use the lack of the file as an indicator that there were no records found. Of course that would only work when I am exporting report results to a file and not when I am trying to print.____Any suggestions? Thanks.