MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
seg0906

MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by seg0906 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi, Are there any instructions out there on how to properly use the flex link feature? I have tried but always end up with missing date. This typically happens when I try to join certain MOM tables - such as CMS and SUBSCRIB where there is no appropriate Tag name for the "Related Index". Any instructions on the linking table index would be helpful!____Thanks, __Sarah

ed_tuton

=> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by ed_tuton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:04 pm

I always try to use another table as a link thereby utilizing the index, It^s faster.

kfleming

=> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:59 am

If you are using MOM, most of the tables already have the index keys that you need. So you may need to just re-think the design of the report to get the relation structure to match the flow of data in MOM.____But you can indeed create Flexlink indexes and they will indeed find matching data based comparing the linking field to the flexlink index key. So it will always find what you tell it to find (but that might not really be what you want it to find.)____Kathleen__R&R Support

seg0906

==> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by seg0906 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:02 pm

I am trying to link the CUST.dbf table in MOM to the subcrib.dbf table. The subscrib.cdx does not have an index key that matches the CUST.dbf linking field of CUSTNUM. I^m trying to create a flex link - and assuming I would need to define the index expression as CUSTNUM. Is this correct? When I try to do this I get an error "Cannot Create database index file"? Does anyone have any advice on this error - and how to properly set up a Flexlink index expression?____Thanks!__Sarah

kfleming

===> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by kfleming » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 am

subscrip.CDX has a index tag of CUSTNUM with the expression:__STR(custnum,10)+pub_code____So to build a relation from CUST to this table you would create a calculated field with the expression:__STR(CUST->custnum,10)____and then set the relation to subscrip using this field as the linking field and the CUSTNUM tag from subscrip.cdx.____Because you are just matching the first 10 characters of the index key, you would set partial character match of 10 characters.____This will allow you to join the table without needing to build a flexlink index.____Kathleen__R&R Support

seg0906

====> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by seg0906 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for all you help!____I^ve run into another linking problem. I want to relate the Stock.dbf table to the GL.dbf table. I^m trying to link by the GL Sales Deparment (Sales_Dept in Stock.dbf) (Department in GL.dbf). Is there a way to create a link - or how would I create a flex link?____Thanks,__Sarah

kfleming

=====> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by kfleming » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 am

You could create a flexlink using STOCK->sales_dept as the linking field, GL as the related table and the dept field from GL as the flexlink index key______Kathleen__R&R Support

seg0906

======> RE: MOM - Flex Link to Join Tables?

Post by seg0906 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 am

Hi Kathleen,____I had no problem linking the Stock.dbf and gl.dbf tables as you suggested - the first time I tried it. I am trying again today in another report and I keep getting the error "Cannot Create Database Index File". Do you know why this isn^t working?____Thanks so much for all your help!__Sarah