RRWRUN.EXE Problem

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
johncawley

RRWRUN.EXE Problem

Post by johncawley » Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:09 pm

Hi,____I^ve got a problem with two applications that I shipped to a vendor a few months back. Whenever a report is printed or previewed an error is generated. The error is ^RRWRUN.EXE has generated an error and will be closed.^____The operating system is Windows 2000 and the version of rrwrun.exe is 9.0.005 (which was the latest version available at the time).____The odd thing is that both my company and the end users thoroughly tested both apps prior to shipping to the third party hardware vendor for distribution. Neither of us found any problems printing. Nor can we re-create the problem on our machines. However, I^ve visited the vendor and seen the error in action on their machines and printing works fine from other apps that don^t use R&R. I also tried launching rrwrun.exe on its own and it launched OK. So the file is not corrupt.____I know that there is a new version of the R&R software but I don^t want to re-ship the entire set of products and find out that this isn^t the problem.____Is this a configuration issue? Is it an imcompatability between R&R and the printer? ____Any advice gratefully received.____Regards,____John Cawley__SchlumbergerSema

kfleming

=> RE: RRWRUN.EXE Problem

Post by kfleming » Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:34 pm

It is likely the R&R PDF printer driver that is misbehaving.__Remove the file CDINTF.DLL from the RRWRUN.EXE directory and see if that helps.____Kathleen__R&R Support

johncawley

==> RE: RRWRUN.EXE Problem

Post by johncawley » Fri Nov 02, 2001 6:37 am

Thanks for the response but we don^t ship cdintf.dll or use the pdf driver. Were there any issues with R&R runtime and Windows 2000 SP1?____Regards,____John Cawley__SchlumbergerSema

johncawley

===> RE: RRWRUN.EXE Problem

Post by johncawley » Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:05 pm

Well, I found the problem - if you pass in a command line of greater than 240 characters rrwrun.exe crashes.____Has this been fixed in the latest version?____Regards,____John Cawley__SchlumbergerSema__

johncawley

====> RRWRUN.EXE Bugs

Post by johncawley » Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:56 pm

No, it isn^t fixed in the latest release. It looks like the buffer used to store the command line is insufficient or it^s getting walked over by some other part of the run-time. In a nutshell our application which accesses a database held on a server path cannot print any reports (which is a pity ^cos that^s its only purpose in life).____I can^t shorten the server path - it^s not mine. Has anyone any ideas about this?____Regards,____John Cawley__SchlumbergerSema

JeffBarefoot

=====> RE: RRWRUN.EXE Bugs

Post by JeffBarefoot » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:38 am

I wonder if some of the .dll functions will help. I had similar concerns about using the .exe functionality (we^ve never actually overran the buffer size, but I can see it coming. I^m primarily concerned about the ri_filter field, which could easily go over 250 characters and will have the same issue).____Maybe if you use the .dll execRuntime() function to run the report you can get around it, rather than having to pass a long string to rrwrun.exe?____We^re experimenting with some changes, but I^m not sure exactly when I^ll have time to test it through.____Jeff Barefoot__InfiSoft Software