Sorting on a Pre-Procesed Total

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Bruce_Gardner_(Guest)

Sorting on a Pre-Procesed Total

Post by Bruce_Gardner_(Guest) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:44 am

Hello:____I have followed the [F1] instructions for sorting on a Pre-processed total (I found them very good).____The report is a list of Invoices totalled by Customer and then sorted from highest to lowest. The details are suppressed and only the total line appears for each Customer.____But there is a problem if two Customers in a row have the same total. Only 1 row appears. Therefore the report is missing Customers. For instance:____Report should be:__900__850__850__700 etc.____But is actually:__900__850__700____Have I missed a step or a setting somehwere? Using Version 11.____Thank you.

kfleming

=> RE: Sorting on a Pre-Procesed Total

Post by kfleming » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 am

Making sure that you are grouping by the customer field rather than the preprocessed total. The sort will be the total field but the group will be the customer field.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Bruce_Gardner_(Guest)

==> RE: Sorting on Pre-Processed Total

Post by Bruce_Gardner_(Guest) » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 am

Thank you Kathleen.____That solved the problem! I appreciate the excellent support you provide whenever the need arises.__

Bruce_Gardner_(Guest)

==> RE: Sorting on Pre-Processed Total

Post by Bruce_Gardner_(Guest) » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 am

Hello Kathleen:____The report was so successful that the client is now asking if I can add Top N selection! I believe that R&R can do that but I don^t see any option or Help reference.____-Can R&R do Top N?__-Where should I look for an explanation of the technique?__-Can the N figure be controlled by the user as a parameter?____We are using version 11 but would consider an upgrade for added functionality.____Thank you.

Bruce_Gardner_(Guest)

====> RE: Sorting on Pre-Processed Total

Post by Bruce_Gardner_(Guest) » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 am

Hello Kathleen:____Thank you. That worked perfectly!__

kfleming

===> RE: Sorting on Pre-Processed Total

Post by kfleming » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 am

There is no built in Top N but you can add a logical condition based on a total that is a count that accumulates once per group and resets at the grand level.____You can use a parameter field to prompt the user for the N value.____The calc field expression would be:__TOTFIELD <= PARAMETERFIELD____You then use this calc field as the logical condition for the group footer.____Kathleen__R&R Support