R&R SQL versus Crystal

Ask any questions you have about purchasing R&R ReportWorks. Will it work with my operating system? Will it access my database? Can I convert my old reports?
Tom_Mills_(Guest)

R&R SQL versus Crystal

Post by Tom_Mills_(Guest) » Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:52 pm

A couple items. ____1. Can R&R SQL use SQL views? __2. Crystal requires only one data source, can you use tables from more than one database in R&R?

kfleming

=> RE: R&R SQL versus Crystal

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:38 am

R&R will show you any tables or views for which you have SELECT privileges.____Each report will use a single data source but that data source can make multiple databases available to you depending on the driver/platform.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Tom_Mills_(Guest)

==> RE: R&R SQL versus Crystal

Post by Tom_Mills_(Guest) » Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:57 am

>R&R will show you any tables __>or views for which you __>have SELECT privileges. __>__>Each report will use a single __>data source but that data __>source can make multiple databases __>available to you depending on __>the driver/platform. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ______Just to confirm, as I understand it, in MS SQL, Crystal will force you to have all your tables/views in the same database. I might want to have my tables in one database and my views in another. In this setup, would R&R be able to use them both? __

DLevin

===> RE: R&R SQL versus Crystal

Post by DLevin » Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:12 pm

With R&R SQL V9, which includes Rapid Runner, we solve several problems at once, including reports across multiple MS SQL Server databases, or across MS SQL server, Oracle, Access, etc. Batches of data extract reports can be placed in a Rapid Runner report ^set^ and run in sequence, saving their raw data to DBF tables, in essence building a data warehouse on your PC. Each extract report can be generated separately or as a batch, depending on the context.____Then, using R&R xBase or SQL (xBase for more robust linking than SQL language allows), you can produce the final report. It^s actually a very simple, flexible process that is more dynamic than writing SQL Views, are easily reuseable or modifiable, require no code, and can even do some processing to the data in a non-production environment.____We feel this is, by far, the most efficient and flexible method of turning raw data into useful stuff. We do this all the time with our clients and they love it -- low cost, quick turnaround, no excuses.____Dan Levin__President