Unable to view reports

Over the years we've worked with or supplied a variety of utilities. As questions about RattleRR, RapidRunner, PDFeXPLODE, pdfEburst, converter, librarian, data dictionary, Amyuni, etc.
Craig

Unable to view reports

Post by Craig » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:48 am

When trying to run a report I get the error -____DB Access: Specified driver could not be loaded due to system Error 5 (Oracle in OraHome92)____I can run exactly the same report, with the same ODBC Driver and same ASP on another server and all is fine.____Please Help

kfleming

=> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by kfleming » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:25 pm

Can you successfully run the report using RSWRUN.EXE on the web server? Do all report fail with the same error?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Craig

==> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by Craig » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:00 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-05 AT 05:11 AM (EST) by ()]All reports run ok view RSWRUN.____I had thought it was an ODBC driver issue, but I use the same ODBC driver on another server using Rattle and all is ok with that.____It happens with any report I try to run through the ASP

kfleming

===> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:12 am

Oracle metalink suggests that it is a permissions problem and suggests this solution:____Oracle Client software requires that you give the__Authenticated User rivilege to the Oracle Home by following these steps:____1. Log on to Windows as a user with Administrator privileges.____2. Launch Windows Explorer from the Start Menu and and navigate to the ORACLE_HOME folder. This is typically the "Ora92" folder under the "Oracle" folder (i.e. D:OracleOra92) in Oracle9iR2 r "Client_1"__folder under the "Oracleproduct10.1.0" folder (i.e.:Oracleproduct__ 10.1.0Client_1) in Oracle10gR1.__3. Right-click on the ORACLE_HOME folder and choose the "Properties" option from the drop down list. A "Properties" window should appear.____4. Click on the "Security" tab of the "Properties" window.__NOTE: If you are running Windows XP and do not have a "Security" tab please do the following:____(a) Open "Folder Options" in your Control Panel.__(b) Choose the "View" tab.__(c) Under "Advanced Settings" uncheck the option "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".____The "Security" tab should now be available.____5. Click on "Authenticated Users" item in the "Name" list (on Windows XP the "Name" list is called "Group or user names").____ 6. Uncheck the "Read and Execute" box in the "Permissions" list under the "Allow" column (on Windows XP the "Permissions" list is called "Permissions for Authenticated Users").____7. Re-check the "Read and Execute" box under the "Allow" column (this is the box you just unchecked).____8. Click the "Advanced" button and in the "Permission Entries" list make sure you see the "Authenticated Users" listed there with:____Permission = Read & Execute__Apply To = This folder, subfolders and files____If this is NOT the case, edit that line and make sure the "Apply onto" drop-down box is set to "This folder, subfolders and files". This should already be set properly but it is important that you verify this.____ 9. Click the "Ok" button until you close out all of the security properties windows. The cursor may present the hour glass for a few seconds as it applies the permissions you just changed to all subfolders and files.____10. Reboot your computer to assure that these changes have taken effect.____11. Re-execute the application and it should now work.____ NOTE: If the problem continues to occur, please go back through these same 11 steps but when performing step 8 additionally check the box entitled "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"____and be sure to reboot in step 10.______

Craig

====> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:52 am

I have now managed to display the output from a simple report, thanks to your help.____My report now displays all contacts associated to a company and will work if I use -____rr.parameters( "Con4Com" ) = "1"____i.e. all contacts will be displayed for Company 1, as Con4Com as a RIPARAM in the report itself. ____Now if I want "user" input parameter to be passed from an HTML page as below -____rr.parameters( "Con4Com" ) = "strCompany"____where strCompany is the parameter from the HTML page I get "Could Not Open Temporary File" error.____Can you suggest anything I have missed?

kfleming

=====> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by kfleming » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:46 pm

Make sure that the anonymous web user has appropriate access rights to the windows temp directory.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Craig

======> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by Craig » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:01 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-05 AT 04:26 AM (EST) by ()]The anonymous web (bothe IUSR and IWAM) user has full access to the WINNTTEMP directory.____Is there anything else I need to check?____Also, if I do run reports on the server, it appears that an RSWRUN.EXE process opens for each report that I run, is there anyway I can stop this happening as this will ultimatley slow the server down with all these processes running in the background

castrass

=======> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by castrass » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Craig,__If your code in the ASP is really:____rr.parameters( "Con4Com" ) = "strCompany"____Then your problem could be that you are seeing RattleRR return a "no records found condition" which shows up in the ActiveX as the "temporary file" notice you indicated.____By putting quotes around strCompany, you are feeding that as your literal string to the Con4Com RIPARAM and this could be causing the issue if for example, you mean for Con4Com to have a value like "IBM".____Try this as well: Put in a report title band with some message on it and see if it appears.____Chris Strasser

Craig

========> RE: Unable to view reports

Post by Craig » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:39 am

Still not passing the parameters through to the report no matter what I try - I can display the results using "rr.filterusage=2" so the report runs correctly bypassing all filters, the problem seems to be in passing a RIPARAM into the report.____More worryingly, however, when I open Task manager on the server I have multiple RSWRUN.EXE processes running in the background, seemingly one for every time I have attempted to run a report. When I try to close these processes down I am not allowed and get the error "The Operation could not be completed - Access Denied".____Can you tell me if there is a way to stop these processes after the report has displayed results or if the only way to clear out the processes is to reboot the server.