2 Gig file limit

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
chutney

2 Gig file limit

Post by chutney » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:34 pm

Will any releases allow tables over 2GB to be accessed?

kfleming

=> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by kfleming » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:18 pm

None of the Xbase releases will.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Cliff_Wiernik

==> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:31 pm

What are we supposed to do with dbf files used by Extended Systems Advantage Database Server (.dbfs) that can be up to 4GB in size.____

kfleming

===> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by kfleming » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:15 pm

You cannot get there with the Xbase release of R&R. __Our plans to add native ADS are still gated by available resources.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Cliff_Wiernik

====> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:30 pm

Regarding plans to add native ADS. I don^t think it has anything to do with native ADS. I would consider native ADS to be ADT files. ____Advantage Database Server supports the following specs for Xbase File Format, i.e. clipper compatible:____ Max number of order per compound file 50__ Max number of open index files per table 15__ Max file size for table, index file, memo file 4 gigabytes__ Max number of records 2 billion__ Max record length 65530 bytes____The native ADT file format, not accesible via clipper or Xbase++ is alot greater than 4 gigabytes.____The 2 gigabyte file size limitation went out the door along time ago for xbase files and ADS. Anyone with large xbase files seriously considers using the advantage database server.______>You cannot get there with the Xbase release of R&R. __>Our plans to add native ADS are still gated by available __>resources. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

pdempsey

=====> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by pdempsey » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:23 am

I don^t think you can expect Liveware Pub to do all the development and testing for an obscure database server. I^ve been the owner of a database development company for 18 years, using DBF files (Visual Foxpro now) and have never heard of this server. Clipper is way beyond it^s useful life and it would be a big loser to development any kind of commercial activity based on it.____It may be time to rewrite that app for SQL Server. :-)__-Pat-

kfleming

======> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by kfleming » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:18 am

ADS is not entirely obscure and is in fact the platform of choice for a significant number of non-US based developers.__So I do not want to slight its importance. However we at Liveware are indeed resource constrainted and as much as we really would like to offer native ADS support, it is still in the we wish we could category of development.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Cliff_Wiernik

=======> RE: 2 Gig file limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:16 am

Although this is currently a clipper application, it is in the process of going to windows with the same database structure.____Kathleen, when you talk about native ADS, what are you meaning. We currently use dbf/cdx/fpt that are compatible with comix/foxpro2 style cdx^s. This is not native ADS. The only thing different is that the ADS server has a 4 GB file size limit instead of a 2GB file size limit.____Please explain what you mean by native ADS. We can open the current files with comix although not likely at the 4 gb file size, I have not really tested this yet. Under windows, with the advantage local server, it depends on windows XP limits.