Changing drive letter

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
hepinstall

Changing drive letter

Post by hepinstall » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:06 pm

We are moving our data to new servers next month and our drive letters will be changing. Is there any way to change all my saved R&R (dBase) reports in advance so that they point to the databases on their new drive letters, or will I have wait until we^re on the new network, get the error about not being able to locate the .dbfs, and browse to each one at its new location?____Thank you.

kfleming

=> RE: Changing drive letter

Post by kfleming » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Are the data files in the same directory? Are the reports in the same directory as the data files?____Kathleen__R&R Support

hepinstall

==> RE: Changing drive letter

Post by hepinstall » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:13 pm

The tables are in multiple locations -- no more than three in any given report, I believe. All on the same drive letter, but different subdirectories. ____The reports are on a different drive letter altogether -- in my personal directory on the network.____So, for example, P: eport.rrw might refer to J:directory1database1.dbf and J:directory2database2.dbf and J:database3.dbf.____Both P: and J: will be changing to different letters. The directory structure underneath should be pretty close to the same, though.

jlassell

===> RE: Changing drive letter

Post by jlassell » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:56 am

I use a freeware utility program called BINCHNG.exe to make changes like this to .rrw files.__You can change all occurences of "P:" to "Q:" in a binary file. We do this all the time for entire libraries and individual reports.__-Jeff

kfleming

====> RE: Changing drive letter

Post by kfleming » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:04 am

Do you have a link to download that file?____Kathleen__R&R Support

hepinstall

=====> RE: Changing drive letter

Post by hepinstall » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Thank you both, Jeff and Kathleen. I found it at:____http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/13722.html____and will give it a try.____Nancy