Accessing indexed files

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Clyde_Coller_(Guest)

Accessing indexed files

Post by Clyde_Coller_(Guest) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am

Been living with extremly slow reports for a long time but believe there must be a better way.____Trying to list information from one record in an order file for a given order number. Dydacomp can access it quickly in Mail Order Manager. R&R has to search the entire file for the record that matches the order number.____Is there a way to make use of the index? ____I notice a "Use index" box for the master table but it is gray and can^t be checked even after selecting the index file____Using Infinity

kfleming

=> RE: Accessing indexed files

Post by kfleming » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 am

If you are using the CMS table as the master file, select the CMS.CDX as the master index and select the tag ORDER.__Choose the radio button Numeric as the Data Type.____Then is Starting Scope click the Start value radio button and enter the first order number that you wish to appear in the report.__This will be much faster than starting from the beginning of the table.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Clyde_Coller_(Guest)

==> RE: Accessing indexed files

Post by Clyde_Coller_(Guest) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am

We have been setting the starting value as you describe but thought it was record numnber. Since the file is in order # sequence I guess order and record numbers are equivalent. However, it is still slow if you need the flexibility to access a large range of order numbers. Also, these are moving targets as time progresses and require updating the starting point periodicaly.____I was hoping there was a way for R&R to go directly to the order record using the index.____Guess not.

kfleming

===> RE: Accessing indexed files

Post by kfleming » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am

It would be record number if you had not selected a master index. By select the index and the tag for order number, the scope is indeed the order number which is not the equivalent of the record number.____Kathleen__R&R Support